24. Stupidity (✔)

Start from the beginning

"Ms. Forrester," Mac walked to me.

"Hello, Mr. Summers," I greeted him. Confusion played across his face. "I...I want your help."

Even more surprise got to him. "In what way?"

"I was hoping you could give me Marina Miller's phone number. I'm sure you have it."

He nodded. "I do. I do have it. Why do you need it?"

I did not reply. For some reason, nothing came out of my mouth. I just stood there and blinked.

He sharply looked around, his pupils dilated as he noticed everything. "Come," he whispered. I followed him to the same room where he had interrogated me. It made me wonder how many times I had come here in just a few days.

He stood near the door, holding it open for me. As I got in, he locked it hurriedly and rushed to the table. The papers were all spread on the table in a mess. His hands went through them all, ruining them further. I almost cringed but straightened when he looked back up at me.

"Thank you," I said, holding the paper on which the number was scribbled. He was about to say something which I clearly wanted to dodge. So, I turned on my heels eager to get away.

"You can call from here," he said. I didn't expect him to say this but I didn't like it neither.

I made a face and shrugged. "I'm fine."

He sighed, "You'll have to call them from your house number. I don't think you would want your parents to eavesdrop at all."

He had a point. I had no phone which left only their number. Of course they would question. Yet I didn't budge from my decision.

"How do I know you won't trace the call?" I asked, narrowing my eyes.

"The same way I know you're not a liar," replied Mac.

Trust.

I bit my lip. "Fine," I muttered and put forth my hand. My eyes began scrutinizing the cell he was about to give me.

"It's a burner phone," he remarked. "I use it for my personal investigation. I'm not directly associated with the police. So it won't be traced." He paused and looked at the door. "Take your time." He left.

I dialed the number and double-checked it before clicking the 'call' button. It continued ringing for so long that I thought it might go on voicemail. I was about to cut the call when a sweet voice answered, "Hello."

I took a deep breath and spoke, "Ms. Miller?"

I heard her take in a sharp breath. "Roe," she lowered her volume. "What a...how are you, sweetie?"

"I'm fine, just fine."

"I'm sorry, sweetheart. I'm really sorry about whatever happened."

"Please don't apologize. It wasn't your fault. It's just not making sense, none of it." I became quiet. I didn't know what else to say.

Quit the small talk.

"What's with the glass trinket? Why was it in my bag? Ho-" I looked at the door to see if Mac lingered there. He didn't. "How is it supposed to protect me?"

Silence.

"Ms. Miller, please answer me. How?"

She sobbed.

"If you were at the house that night, why did you not listen? You could have stopped us, told me everything. Why didn't you come out of the room?"

I could swear I heard her mutter something else, "Because we weren't there."

"What? What did you say?"

"She asked you to leave us alone," a male voice thundered.

"Mr. Mille-"

"No, you leave us alone. You stupid kids got us into this mess. You made us look like liars in front of the police. What do you think we are? We gave you a place to live under and this is how you pay back? No wonder your friends are in danger. It's because of their stupidity, not ours. It is your fault. Call us again and you'll be behind the bars."

I shuttered as he slammed the phone. I placed the phone on the table and blinked back my tears. Nothing was right. I dumped myself in a chair. Somebody knocked on the door. I looked up and nodded at Mac. He came in and took a seat. No one said anything. He pushed forth a glass of water.

"Don't sweat. We'll find her."

I didn't reply.

"Ms. Forrester, do not do anything stupid."

"What stupid thing would I do?" I asked out of both curiosity and anger. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. I was sick of this word.

"I don't know but just don't do anything that will get you in danger; not your friends, not your parents, you."

"Can there be anything more stupid than this mess?" I muttered.

He raised an eyebrow. "I found something worth searching about," he said after some time.

He stared at me, "Just as you mentioned, the area where Brody was discovered was thoroughly examined. We got nothing but something else got my attention." Out of a drawer he drew out a small packet and handed it to me.

"What is it?" I asked.

He shrugged. I looked closely and then identified it. I couldn't be wrong about it. It was my only weapon. Oeskas.

"Do you know what is it?"

I shook my head, keeping my expression placid. It wasn't any oeskas. It was just some silly jelly that that girl gave me in the name of weapon. Another joke.

He took it back and sighed with frustration.

"I'm trusting you. Don't make me regret it."

"I do not know what it is. Some girl gave it to me, telling me how it would be helpful. She was bluffing," I replied honestly.

Mac kept the packet back.

"Have you ever got such a peculiar case before?" I asked in monotone. There was no energy left in me.

Before he could answer, I got up to leave. "Thank you for your help," I said earnestly.

My fingers tightened around the door knob. I looked back at Mac. Then, my gaze went to the glass of water which was untouched. I stared hard at it with only one thought going on in my mind.

"I'll pierce the pieces of this glass through the body of the person who dared touch Erin."