There were so many bears that they got into each other's way. Their big lumbering bodies acted as roadblocks that the others had to navigate around. That meant only three or four at a time were able to get at the players.

"Mend," Severance murmured. As long as the bears didn't notice him, he could safely heal his teammates. Maybe, by some incredible miracle, they'd survive this.

Meanwhile, Fladnag held out a hand, and gravely proclaimed, "Calming Touch."

One of the bears dropped to all fours, its entire being becoming docile in an instant. It shuffled around and casually swatted another bear who had reared up on two legs, doing its best to chomp off Fladnag's head.

PrettyBoi had grabbed onto one of Jorgie's mother's ankles, while its free hand wielded a wooden spear. The zombie child jabbed it towards any bears that got too close, while dragging the unconscious woman behind him like a rag.

"Mend!" The second the skill was off cooldown, Severance used it on PrettyBoi.

The scholar led his new bear companion to cut off those trying to destroy PrettyBoi. "Go," he commanded. "I'll cover you. Get the woman to safety."

PrettyBoi glanced up at him with its dead green eyes. Then it gave a curt nod. It began to drag Jorgie's mother towards the cave exit like she was a sack of vegetables.

"Heal PrettyBoi," Fladnag shouted towards Severance. "Don't worry about me! Burst Orb!" A glowing ball of energy blasted from his palms. It exploded in the face of a bear, making it reel back in pain. It created a small open space for PrettyBoi.

Fladnag moved in behind, using the body of his pet bear to block most of the other bears. They piled up in a tangled mess, shoving and roaring.

Severance gritted his teeth. Was Fladnag trying to sacrifice himself for the sake of the quest? The player would die! Still, that's what Fladnag had said. Severance would trust that the old player knew what he was doing.

He turned his staff towards PrettyBoi. "Mend."

One of the red health bars morphed into orange. But that wouldn't be enough. There were too many bears for Fladnag to hold back. One broke past and galloped over to PrettyBoi.

"Bolt!" The arrow of light struck it right in the eye. It faltered, allowing PrettyBoi to drag its victim even closer to the exit.

The wooden spear swished through the air in rapid blurs, pushing back the few bears in his path. PrettyBoi didn't even use a skill; it just stuck the pointy end in a bear's face. It was quite effective, as no creature wanted to have their eyes stabbed out.

Fladnag's health bar dropped to zero. It turned a dull, flat gray. Severance saw the player collapse. A horde of bears piled onto the scholar's body, ripping it apart. All Severance could see was the occasional flare of blood.

He winced. That left him and PrettyBoi, who was a half-step from dying.

"Mend!" Severance felt the pain of having a lengthy cooldown. A few seconds felt like an eternity while he watched PrettyBoi's health drop. The only reason the player still lived was because of its larger pool of health.

There was a twinge in his awareness. A skill had come off cooldown, and he immediately cast it. "Radiant Dome!"

The translucent dome poured down over him and PrettyBoi, just as a bear clamped its jaws around PrettyBoi's arm, the one that held the spear.

"Bolt!" Severance gave it something else to chew on, and it let go, huffing in discontent. Another disintegrated into a burst of violet sparks as PrettyBoi jabbed it right in the nose. As he dragged Jorgie's mother closer yet to the cave entrance, a third reared up, conveniently blocking the way for two of its buddies.

Severance aimed for its furry chest. "Bolt!"