Chapter 38: Detention

Start from the beginning

       Five hour long detentions on Saturday should be banned.

       Shortly after we were all sitting at a desk, Janessa, Silas, Denis, and their friend Tammy arrived. Even though Tammy was as annoying as Janessa, she was also just one of the observers like Hennessy who got detention just for being near the fight.

       "Awe, it's the loser gang," Janessa said, sitting at one of the desks on the opposite side of the classroom.

       "Grow up, Janessa," Vikram said. "We don't want to hear your childish jabs."

       "Whatever," Janessa said. "You know, none of us would be here if it weren't for that douche bag."

       "Which one of us are you talking about?" I asked, leaning back in my seat so I could get a better look at Janessa. Nothing she said really bothered me, even if she was annoying. I just figured her life was probably very boring if she wanted to tear us down.

       "The one who started the fight," Janessa said.

       "Technically, that was you," Vikram said. "Grant wouldn't have gotten into a fight with Silas if you didn't pick on his sister."

       Janessa glared at Vikram. "Are you calling me a douche bag?"

       "You said it, I didn't," Vikram said.

       "Do you want to say that again?" Silas asked in a threatening tone.

       Vikram just chuckled at their easiness to get angry as he looked away from Janessa, a small smile on his face.

       Maybe detention wouldn't be so bad. As long as Janessa and her friends couldn't bother the rest of us, then there was no reason detention should be so awful. Minus the boring feelings that were sure to come.

       Mr. Griffith walked into the detention room, immediately noticing that Grant was asleep. He picked up a stack of books on a shelf nearby before dropping it on Grant's desk, the loud slam causing Grant to wake up with a start.

       "Are you trying to give me a heart attack?" Grant asked, rubbing his eyes.

       "Rule number one of Saturday detention," Mr. Griffith said as he walked to the front of the classroom, "no sleeping. Rule two, no cell phones unless you have to contact your parents. Rule three, no leaving the room. Rule fo--"

       "If you didn't want us to sleep, then why bring us here so early?" Grant interrupted.

       "It starts around the same time regular school days start," Mr. Griffith said. "You should have gone to sleep at a reasonable hour if you wanted to survive detention without being so tired."

       "Can't," Grant said. "I was busy."

       "In the middle of the night?" Mr. Griffith asked. "Doing what?"

       "Having sex," Grant said.

       "Simms, I don't think anyone in this room wants to hear that information," Mr. Griffith said.

       "Except Ollie," Grant said. "Then again, he was there."

       I gave Grant a look that told him to shut up. It was official. He lost his mind.

       "Simms," Mr. Griffith said in a warning tone.

       "I'm kidding," Grant said. "I was watching a movie. You're so easy to rile up."

       Mr. Griffith shot him a quick glare before addressing the rest of the class. "If I catch any of you breaking the rules, you'll all have to come back next Saturday for another detention."