Chapter Eleven

Sitting at the table, Alice swayed and smiled. "What are you smiling about?" Sergio glanced her way. "Nothing." She froze. He tapped his fork on his plate and glared at Alice. "Esther." He looked to his left. Esther slowly looked up with boredom. "Yes, dear?" She slowly blinked. "Could you get me my glasses from upstairs?" He dismissed them. "You're not reading, you don't need them." Esther  huffed. "I just want to admire our daughter's new jewelry." He gave Alice the eyebrow as he tried to drive her mother away. "Fine." Esther huffed, annoyed at having to leave her food. 

Sergio waited for her to turn the corner before confronting Alice. "Okay, cut your shit." He barked, spooking Alice. "Piercings, less studying, quit piano... What kinds of friends have you made exactly?" He scowled. Alice stuttered. "The-they're-I-" She gasped. "Yeah, and you wonder why I asked Chad to get some answers out of you." Sergio sneered. Alice threw her fork at her plate so hard her plate chipped. "And Chad did it because he wants a title! Maybe if I trusted you then we could talk!" She jumped. 

"Sergio, I couldn't find them." Esther returned with crossed arms. 

"What happened while I was gone?" She slowly sunk into her seat with grace. "He wants answers." Alice pointed. Esther gasped. "I told you not to bring it up." Esther glared. "I can't Esther! She's turning into a delinquent. If I didn't know any better, I'd guess that she was off with them all the time. You're too soft on her!" 

"And you're too hard on her, haven't I told you to trust her more and stop worrying so much?" Esther raised her voice, it was a talent she had. She could scold without screaming but she was powerful enough to keep the other person from repeating their foolish mistakes. 

"I can't help myself, I'm a father! It's my job to worry." Sergio gripped his hair, he looked as though he were on the verge of tears. "Then maybe you need something to calm you down." Alice chucked a cigarette at him and began to walk away. "Sure," He started as he lit his gift. "Then I guess I'll tell you that Chad's coming tomorrow instead of just waiting for you to figure it out when he shows up." He leaned back with a grin. "Are you serious? What makes you think I'm interested." 

"Mok Mok." He chuckled as though something out of the ordinary was said. She grumbled and stormed upstairs. "I hate you!" She slammed the door. 

Sergio had a strange feeling. One he hadn't felt in a long time. A strong aching to the chest that melted his heart a pierced his lungs. It made his eyes burn and his head pace. Guilt. 

He began to truly question his parenting for the first time in his life.