fourteen

"𝓨ah, why are we running?!" Jungmo panted, his gaze fixed on the back of Heejin's head as they weaved through a sea of students on their way to school, garnering confused glances from their peers. He couldn't comprehend the sudden dash, and the curious stares only fueled his bewilderment.

Amid their sprint, they unexpectedly passed Taeyoung and Hyeongjun. The two boys stared at them with identical expressions of confusion.

"Yah, are you guys skipping school?!" Taeyoung shouted, prompting Heejin to glance back, offering a quick wave before resuming their mad dash.

Heejin and Jungmo continued their impromptu escape until they reached a convenience store a few blocks down the road. Panting and sweating, they sought refuge, their unexpected flight leaving them both physically and mentally drained.

"Yah..." Jungmo panted, his words emerging in wheezed breaths. "What the hell, Lee Heejin?" he exclaimed, taking a seat in one of the chairs provided at the convenience store.

Heejin slid into the chair across from him, slumping as she caught her breath.

"Sorry," Heejin raised a hand. "It was an emergency."

"What emergency?" Jungmo raised a skeptical brow. "Hey, are you involved in some shady business? Was that a loan shark or something?"

"Nah," Heejin answered, and Jungmo couldn't decide if he was relieved to hear her response.

"Then who was that? He looked our age," Jungmo retorted.

Heejin nodded. "You're right. He is our age."

Jungmo stared at her, slightly shocked by the revelation.

"That was my ex-boyfriend, Kim Jaewon," Heejin said and Jungmo's mouth fell open.

────────────

Jaewon nonchalantly sauntered through the expansive hallways of LUVITY High, eliciting curious glances from students loitering about.

The intense stares were nothing new to Jaewon; he was accustomed to such attention. Back at his previous school, he had been quite the popular figure, particularly among the female students.

Jaewon gracefully entered the teacher's office, drawing the attention of Mr. Yoo.

"Ah, the transfer student, I presume?" Mr. Yoo inquired, and Jaewon offered a polite nod. "Indeed, I am. You must be Mr. Yoo, the principal mentioned you," Jaewon acknowledged, recalling his earlier conversation with the principal about meeting Mr. Yoo upon his arrival.

A warm grin stretched across Mr. Yoo's face. "Certainly! Welcome. Let's get you settled before the first bell rings for the day."

Jaewon followed Mr. Yoo to his desk, where they navigated through a series of paperwork.

"I believe that concludes the formalities," Mr. Yoo remarked, signing his autograph on the last document and neatly filing it away. His gaze then shifted to Jaewon, noting the absence of the school uniform.

"Have you not acquired your school uniform yet?" Mr. Yoo inquired.

"My apologies. I arrived in Seoul just this morning, and I haven't had the opportunity to purchase it," Jaewon explained.

Understandingly, Mr. Yoo nodded. "No worries. Make sure you come in uniform starting tomorrow."

"Absolutely, Mr. Yoo," Jaewon affirmed, coinciding with the ringing of the bell signaling the beginning of the first period.

Mr. Yoo interlaced his hands, addressing Jaewon. "Shall we proceed?"

Jaewon trailed behind Mr. Yoo as they ascended the stairs to reach classroom 2-1. As they entered, the bustling chatter in the room hushed at the unexpected appearance of the new student and the teacher.