nine

𝓗eejin didn't remember what else happened for the rest of the night of the ball and the weekend slipped by in a hazy blur.

Now, a new school day had dawned, and she found herself running late. It was a departure from her usual routine, as Woobin wasn't able to accompany her to school that day.

Against her initial resistance, Heejin had succumbed to her grandfather's persuasive arguments and allowed the chauffeur to drive her instead. Sensing the urgency of the situation, she reluctantly agreed, knowing that otherwise, she might not make it to school on time.

As fate would have it, it was none other than Mr. Seo, Woobin's father himself, who sat behind the wheel, taking Heejin on this unexpected journey.

The car glided along the familiar streets, and Heejin stared absentmindedly out of the window, her gaze lost in a cascade of thoughts and unanswered questions.

Breaking the silence, Mr. Seo cleared his throat and attempted to initiate a conversation. "Miss Heejin, how has your day at school been so far?" he inquired, hoping to engage her in small talk.

Heejin's attention snapped back from the passing scenery as her eyes met Mr. Seo's in the rearview mirror.

The corners of her lips curled into a gentle smile, and she replied, "It's been okay, so far."

Mr. Seo continued to navigate the busy streets, his hands confidently maneuvering the steering wheel. "I'm glad to hear that," he responded, a tinge of pride coloring his words. "Woobin has always been a good friend. You've come to know him well, and I'm pleased to see he's been of help to you."

Heejin's smile broadened, radiating sincerity. "Woobin has beena really good friend, sir. He's been incredibly supportive, and I truly appreciate him. You've raised him well."

The sentiment struck a chord with Mr. Seo, and he erupted into a hearty laughter that reverberated throughout the car. "Thank you, Miss Heejin. Your words mean a lot to me," he expressed warmly, a sense of contentment evident in his voice.

The laughter gradually subsided, and a comfortable silence settled between them once more.

As they approached the school gates, Mr. Seo glanced at the rearview mirror and noticed Heejin's eyes widen with surprise.

The sight of the imposing iron gates swinging shut sent a jolt of urgency through her veins. The car came to a sudden halt, and Heejin wasted no time in bidding Mr. Seo a quick farewell.

"Goodbye, Mr. Seo!" Heejin exclaimed, her voice brimming with gratitude, before she hastily flung open the car door and sprinted towards the closing gates.

Her heart pounded in her chest as she pushed her legs to their limits, sprinting with all her might. Every step seemed to carry the weight of her determination to make it inside before the gates sealed her out.

The sound of her shoes pounding against the pavement echoed in her ears, competing with the rush of blood pulsing through her veins. Time appeared to warp, stretching and distorting with each stride she took.

Finally, just as the gap between the gates grew perilously narrow, Heejin lunged forward, her outstretched arm reaching desperately for the closing entrance. In a breathtaking display of sheer willpower, her fingertips grazed the cold metal, brushing against it for the briefest of moments.