𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

DEAR JACK,
Maybe they cared before they had a chance to say goodbye.
Or maybe they didn't fall in love like I had thought.
More than anything, they are nothing like you and I.

BOBBY HAD BROUGHT THE THREE TO HIS CAMP, EXCEPT IT HAD NOT BEEN WHAT THEY EXPECTED. The people that had walked around looked as if they were only hanging on by their last thread. The camp had been rundown, barely standing on its own. It felt uneasy to be around, thinking it was just a blow away from falling all apart.

The curiosity had gotten to Jack. "What happened to them?"

Bobby had been too proud of his camp to feel embarrassed. His camp and been his life. He was set out to protect the people that walked around and there was only certain cosmic beings to blame. "Angels happened. They've done worse. Two days ago, angels dive-bombed a colony in San Antonio. Four hundred people. Not a soul left alive. This ain't war. This is an extermination."

With a heavy sigh, Mary had turned to Bobby in worry. "Michael will be looking for us."

"Don't worry, we got protocols protecting us. Wardings, lookouts in trees, few other tricks up our sleeves. Besides, Mary Campbell saved my ass more than a few times. It'd be rude not to return the favor." Bobby's grin was more than enough to make the three feel more at ease. Looking around, it hadn't seemed like much but knowing that Bobby had been the one to run the place, it was enough to know they were safe.

Continuing on, Bobby had shown them where they would be staying and where food was going to be served. It had been a while since they all had eaten and just the thought of food had them gently reach for their stomachs.

As if knowing their pain, a bell in the distance had rang out and many people began to flock together. "That's dinner time. Come on."

Bobby had directed them into line to grab their food. Mary had made it her mission to hang back with Bobby to try and figure out more about this unfamiliar world. Just a few steps ahead, Jack and Rose had been eager for a plate of food. Even a small scrap would be enough to satisfy them.

It hadn't taken long for Rose to feel unsettled. Taking a step closer to Jack, she had kept her eyes down to avoid the eyes that lingered in her direction. It was unwelcoming to stand before these people that were very much obvious in their distrust towards her.

Jack had taken his plate first, a smile growing as he had known in just a few, he would get a chance to clear his plate. It wasn't much, but it was enough. Rose had given a weak smile to the old woman handing out plates as she reached her own hand out for one. The old woman had grown hesitant. Leaning towards her, her friend had whispered something in her ear that had caused her to quickly retract the plate and hand it off to the young girl behind Rose.