𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞

DEAR JACK,
Believe in something different.
Living for another is never smart.
Although, something about you changes my mind.
Couldn't understand these feelings before.
Killing me inside that I'm now living for you.

❂

THE GROUP OF FOUR HAD HEADED TO MADISON, WISCONSIN FOR THEIR NEWEST CASE. The ride had been uneventful as the road there had been quiet— just as Dean had wanted it. When they had eventually parked the car in front of the victims house, they were preparing to head in for some quick questioning to the one witness that had seen what had happened.

Dean did not trust Jack in the slightest to handle a case like this and instead told the two in the backseat to sit and stay. While Rose had been upset to being told to stay behind, Jack was more interested in finding out more about what a revenant was.

Giving a smack to Jacks arm, Rose had wanted to see what he had thought about being left behind. "Don't you think we could help?"

"Sure. I don't really know what's going on though. I didn't even want to come but Sam said I had to."

Furrowing her eyebrows in confusion, she gave him a strange look. "You told me you wanted to come." Before the two had left the bunker, Jack had expressed his excitement multiple times about heading out on a case but it had only been after Rose had said she would be going as well.

"You said you were going," he said softly.

Unsure how to react, Rose kept her mouth shut. It had felt good to know that someone had been wanting her along for the ride besides Sam. The exchange that they had heard between the Winchester brothers had set them back, but it had unknowingly to them, brought the closer. "Anyways," Jack continued on awkwardly. "I thought it would be fun. For us I mean. Dean's been upset and that makes Sam upset... and after last night."

"I don't think we should talk about it."

"I don't want you to think I wanted to hurt you or your family. In fact, I think they sound like nice people."

"They weren't," she whispered. Thinking it over, she shook her head and corrected herself. "I mean, to me, yes. To everyone else, no. Dean doesn't actually care that they died, he just wants me mad at you."

"How could he not care?" Jack asked in disbelief. As far as he was concerned, if someone dies, then you should feel upset, if not, at least feel bad for the one that lost them. "If they were your family... shouldn't they be theirs?"

"I never thought of it like that," Rose admitted. "But you heard what Dean said about us."

"You don't have to be by me if it means you and Dean are mad at each other." Jacks offer was bitter sweet to him. He believed that he was the issue and if he had left, Rose would be happier with the Winchesters. However, he knew that he would feel more alone without her. Waiting for her to respond had felt like ages had passed when she didn't even hesitate to consider her option.

"I choose you," she whispered. Glancing out the window, she spotted Sam and Dean still interviewing and knew it was her chance to leave. Turning back to Jack, she reached over and popped his door open for him. "We're going to check it out for ourselves."

Hesitant on what to do, Rose had made the decision for him as she motioned for him to get out of the car. Following along after him, the two snuck their way across the street to the victims house without being caught.

Feeling anxious that they would get in trouble, Jack looked over his shoulder once more. "Are you sure about this?"

"You're my partner, you had to come with me as backup," she said. This had brought a smile to Jack's lips and allowed him to relax. Making his way towards the center of the living room, he looked curiously at the pool of blood that had soaked into the carpet.

On the other hand, Rose had made her way around the room with an EMF meter in hand in hopes of detecting something. "I'm getting no signs of any spirits here," she called over to him.

"Then what do we do?"

"Well, our best guess was revenant, right? So, we can check the grave, see if there's a body in there."

Nodding along, Jack felt maybe he could get used to this type of thing. But as of now, he had felt that he was just standing around, so he decided to speak up and possibly help. "And if there's a body, then it's not a revenant."

Pointing to him in approval, Rose couldn't help but smile at her brand new partner. "Exactly. Thing is, if it's not a revenant, we gotta think of something else so start thinking just in case."

"Got it," he agreed. Already he was starting to feel a part of the case after Dean had made him feel like this was only a babysitting duty. "What if it is a revenant?"

"Your first case so... you can handle the zombie." Holding up a fist in his direction, Rose had waited for him to bump it with his own. Instead, Sam and Dean has came busting into the house to break things up.

"Hey! I told you two to wait in the car," Dean yelled. Having them go against his orders had only infuriated him more than he had already been feeling. It sure did not help that unlike in the car, Jack had been in a much better mood.

"We were helping out. Not a ghost. We're headed to the grave," Jack said proudly. He had been ready to walk off until Dean caught him by his arm and put him to a complete stop.

"Jack's right. Not a ghost. Didn't get a read on EMF. Double check if you want," she said. Reaching back into her pocket, she yanked out the EMF meter and tossed it towards Dean. Only he had been too annoyed to bother checking himself. The last thing he wanted was to look foolish in front of everyone.

Looking back and forth from Rose to Dean, Sam smiled brightly in hopes of changing the mood. "Graveyard it is."

"You two wanna jump right into it, fine." Raising a finger towards them, he tried to be as assertive as possible. "Then you two can handle grave digging duties." This had earned a scoff from Rose at the thought of getting the busy work for being a step ahead of the boys. Grabbing Jack by the crook of his arm, she gently guided him out of the house to be far away from Dean Winchester.

"Could you be a little it nicer to them?" Sam questioned. "To be fair, they rule out ghost and were smart enough to head out to the grave."

"They disobeyed."

"Ground them then, Dean."

"Oh, I did."

Shaking his head, Sam now pushed Dean to follow after the other two, "Grave digging is not grounding them. Taking away Netflix for a week is."

"Okay, Sam, really? That's torture. I'm not that mean," Dean grumbled, sulking off in anger.

While Dean had been next to make his way out of the house, Sam was left to himself, wondering how he had gotten trapped in a sticky situation of constant fighting. If he was sure of anything, he knew that solving this case in separate pairs was going to get them nowhere. So far it was only driving them apart while Jack and Rose only kept getting closer to one another and more distant from him and Dean.