chapter 48

Meanwhile with Ash

Mallow placed the finished salad inside the picnic basket along with the sandwiches that Ash made. Before she place the latter inside, she taste-tested one of them to make sure they were okay.

She swallowed before saying, "Not bad...for a amateur." She joked.

Ash rolled his eyes. She has not yet stop joking at his cooking skills. He was basically making some sandwiches. It's not like he was cooking something complicated. Is making a sandwich even considered cooking?

"It is if you grill it, which you didn't. Thank Arceus." Again she made fun of Ash. "And we've seen how you prepared the salad, so I was quite worried when I asked you make some sandwiches. Heh~ What was I thinking? Thankfully you did a pretty good job."

"Ha-ha-ha." Ash mocked laughter, "Are you done?"

"Mmmmm...maybe." She again laughed at him when he made a face of defeat. Having enough fun for the day, Mallow went into a different subject, "So, where are the two you going for your picnic date?"

"Huh?" Ash said when he realized Lillie has forgot to inform him of the location. He frowned, he was also at fault. "Oh, Lillie was about to tell me, but she left in a hurry before she could. I guess she just forgot and I forgot to remind her."

Mallow nodded in understanding before pulling out her cell phone from her pocket. "Here, I have Lillie in my contacts. Call her."

He smiled, "Thanks." Ash said graciously before accepting her phone.

With Lillie

"[I'm just saying that if this boy is willing to take responsibility, he should really commit to his words.]" Lusamine joked once again as she tries to restrain her laughs. The one thing she is regretting right now is that she did not made this a video call as she can only imagine the look on her daughter's heated face. "[I mean you're already having him to take you out, why don't you just have him marry y-]"

"Mother," Lillie cut her mother off, but quietly and kindly. "I would prefer it if we talk about a different topic."

"[Oh? What else could we talk about?]" Lusamine rhetorically asked with a hint of joke still in her voice. "[I rather we talk about the subject of your relationship with Ash. Speaking of Ash, how did he taste?]"

Lillie has just about had it, she was so close to hanging up on her mother when her cell phone rang again. Looking at the new caller ID on the screen, she smiled to see her best friend's name, Mallow.

"Oh, thank Arcues." Her friend to the rescue!

"Mother, Mallow is calling."

"[Put her on. I haven't seen her in a while too.]"

The daughter did just that and answered the second call. Lillie smiled, knowing that her best friend will help her from this embarrassing situation. However, she soon found that...

"[Hey Lillie. It's me.]" It was not her friend who was calling, it was Ash.

"Gah!" Lillie gasp out loud. Her situation just got worse. Her mother and Ash are now in a three-way call with her in the middle of it.

"[That doesn't sound like Mallow. Who is this?]" Lusamine asked in confusion. She was certain she heard her daughter said her best friend's name.

Ash raised a brow, wondering who asked that question, having never heard of that voice before. "[I'm Ash and I'm using Mallow's phone. Who am I talking to? I thought I dialed Lillie's number.]"

"[Oh! So you're Ash Ketchum!]" Lusamine yelled in surprise, her wicked smile now plastered into her face when she heard her daughter shriek. "[Nice to meet you. I'm Lusamine, Lillie's mother. Sorry dear, but you have called probably at the worst of times. You see my daughter and I were just having a delightful talk on the phone when you called and interrupted us.]"

Delightful? She was torturing her daughter by asking embarrassing questions about her love life. Lillie just sighs in defeat as she listens to the conversation between her mother and her friend. It was inevitable that her family will find out about Ash, although she have preferred to have been later rather than sooner.

"[I did? Sorry, my mistake. I'll call later.]"

Ash was about to hang up when the mother of his classmate stop him before he could. "[Now, now sweetie. My daughter was just talking about you and from what I heard, you sound quite the gentleman.]"

Ash blush, not knowing what to say to this, "[Uhhh...thanks.]" He is undoubtedly nervous from what she just said. Lillie has told her mother about him. Does that mean...?