A Banshee's Duty Pt.1

Shannon Yulie
I sat on the plane to London, I knew the flight would take hours, and while I sat there in silence, I began to fall asleep, letting my mind wander.

All I knew was that I was being called to England regarding some kind of danger, I needed to report into the leader of the Europe division and he or she would tell me more. I felt bad for leaving Kwin alone like I did, with just learning about his brother being alive I'm sure he could use a friend right about now. But that was the price I paid I suppose.

I remembered my mother and I sitting on a porch swing, we were staying at this little cottage on the ocean front somewhere down south. My mother was pregnant with Cody, my younger brother who has now been missing for half a year. The porch swing we sat on rocked back and fourth on the front porch of the cottage.

The sun was setting over the ocean that we sat facing, I remember the breeze being perfect, the sky being clear of clouds. The air was warm, but the light breeze kept me cool, while not being so harsh to mess up my hair, or make me cold.

I know now that my mother had the power of the Banshee then, and was likely controlling the weather to fit my comfort.

"Protection" My mother told me. "That is what a Banshee must do no matter the cost, protecting the earth from the demons and the people who may try to harm it"

"What about the gods mother? Aren't they suppose to protect us?" I asked, even as a child I was raised being told about the gods, and there powers. I knew even then that my father was the god of the sky, the mighty Zeus. Back then I idolized him, now I only wish I didn't.

"We can't relay on the gods sometimes Shannon, the gods duties aren't to protect us, but to ensure that there is a form of stability. That is why the Banshee exists, we do what the gods won't" My mother explained.

"And what if the Banshee fails?" I asked her. My mother grabbed my hand tight, I remember her looking me in the eyes and swearing to me.

"The Banshee never fails" My mother looked back out to the ocean and closed her eyes.

"But father will protect us right?" I asked.

My mother held me closer and pointed up to the sky.

"Your father is always watching, he will guide us to where we need to be. But no, he-" I knew what she was going to say now, but as a little girl who never even met her father, my mother wasn't willing to break my heart.

"Your father will protect you if I can't, of course he will sweetie" My mother lied. Knowing now, I knew that my father would rather let me die over spending work and effort to actually save me from death. If he did save me, it wouldn't be because I'm his daughter, but because I'm the Banshee.

Then again, he let the Banshee die before.

...

I walked down the escalator at London's airport, holding two suitcases. On the phone, they said they would send someone to get me and drive me to the head quarters, but it was already 10pm and I doubt they'd give me answers so quickly.

I saw a man standing at the bottom of the escalator, holding a sign reading "Shannon Yulie". Through the crowd I'm surprised I saw him.

"Ms. Yulie?" The man asked me as I walked to him. He seemed to be around his mid thirties, some of his hairs were grey on his neatly combed head, and he had a goatee on his face. His eyes were wise and a dark green. He wore a black tuxedo, and had a pair of black sunglasses tucked over his dress coat, He'd probably be wearing them if it weren't for it being late.

"Yes" I answered handing him my carry on bag. I kept my suitcase close.

He took it and held out a hand to shake mine.