chapter thirty-three

| Sylvia |

I didn't flinch as the bedroom door opened once again, allowing Xavier's frame to walk through the entryway. "Are you ready, princess?" He mused, his hand tracing my shoulder as I stared into the mirror ahead of me.

I wouldn't look up at him, and soon I felt his hand on my face, gently nudging me as he forced me to make eye contact with him. "I said," He repeated, grinding his teeth together as a false smile stretched across his face "Are you ready?"

"Yes, sir, Xavier, sir," I replied, forcing myself to smile back at him with the most disgustingly sweet grin. So sweet that he should have known it to be sarcastic. And yet, he actually smiled back as if it was truly a gem meant for him. "I'd love nothing more than to have you go parade me around a bunch of bloodthirsty monsters. I'd love to be your horrible arm candy. I just love you so much."

A loud slap echoed throughout the room as the palm of his hand connected with the side of my face. My mouth gaped open, shock coursing through my veins as my heart began to pound.

He actually slapped me.

My skin was tingling, and I could feel my cheek swelling slightly as a gentle tinge of metallic blood fell onto my tongue.

I didn't put it past him. I almost expected him to react in some way. Of course, I had; I wouldn't have pushed him as I had if I didn't.

I just wanted to feel something.

"Let's just go, you animal," I hissed, standing up as I clenched my jaw. I glared at him, puffing out my chest as I started to push past him. "No need to hurt the merchandise, after all, I'm only a piece of meat to you, aren't I?"

He grabbed my arm, his fingers digging into my flesh as he bent down to speak into my ear. "You need to behave yourself, all right?" His words sent shivers down my spine.

"Or what?" I responded, staring at the open door ahead of me as it was my only chance of escaping the situation.

"Or I'll slowly tear your twins apart limb by limb."

He almost didn't realize his mistake, only letting out a hiss when I began to grin. He was impulsive, and his cocky nature was beginning to make him sloppy.

It wouldn't be long before I'd be able to throw him off enough to escape fully. I wasn't sure where I'd go, or where I'd escape to...but if anything, I'd make sure that I would make it back outside of the wall.

"So they're alive, are they?" I smirked, allowing my body to relax. "Then that's fine, we can go to the ball. I'm sure you won't be alive for much longer." I yanked my arm from his grip as I began to walk towards the door, the black heels he had picked out wobbling underneath me with every step.

As soon as I stepped outside into the hallway, I could tell I was back in the home of none other than Carden. The marble floors and high ceilings screamed out, the aesthetic just as cold as the owner of the building.

"Isn't it wonderful, Sylvia?" He spoke in awe, our footsteps echoing throughout the empty halls as he walked only a few steps behind me at any given time. He was scared to let me out of his arms reach.

As if I could outrun him. As if I could fight him off.

As if I could stand a chance when he was still paying so much attention to me.

"I wouldn't really call it that." My voice came out as a small whisper. There wasn't much to look at, all of the walls blank.

"You're going to be living here with me now. You know that, right? Isn't that exciting?" Xavier wanted me to be happy to be here with him. Delusional. Absolutely delusional. He was convincing himself we were in love; "We'll be together forever."

Just the thought was enough to send my stomach into knots; what once had been my biggest dream was now my worst nightmare.

There was something in me pulling me back in the opposite direction, but I had to force myself to keep moving forward.

The only time my heart had ever pushed so forcibly was whenever I was looking for one of the twins.