chapter thirty

| Sylvia |

Everything had to be perfect. Everything down to the smallest detail. The plan was already falling apart and it hadn't even started yet.

When Ambrose and I had returned to his home that night, the house had been ransacked. Turned upside down. The plans were all gone. Livia and Marcus, who had been staying in the house for extra protection while Ambrose was busy at work? Gone. Xavier was no where to be seen, but I was sure he was simply back at his quarters in Carden's home. Westley and Evangeline...Ambrose was sure they hadn't been there in hours and were safe. 

The biggest question left now was why? Who had done this, and what were they looking for? Ambrose was sure that it had been Carden, but that didn't make sense unless someone had tipped him off. What other reason would he have had?

I could still feel my heart pounding at the smell of smoke as we had walked up to the house.

I forced myself to ignore the fear at the bottom of my chest and the uneasy feeling in my stomach. I knew everything would be fine.

Sure, they had the plans. They had our people.

They had everything...except for us. 

"We need to find Westley, Ambrose," I muttered as I tried to pull him out of Livia's makeshift room. 

"They were here only a hour ago, Sylvia." He ripped himself from me, going back to trying to look for clues. "We were almost here. I could have done something." He was blaming himself, that much was obvious, but the Ambrose I was familiar with wouldn't have done this.

He wouldn't be acting so desperate, so frantic. He'd slowly sit back and actually think logically about a situation. 

"I...I'm going to find him then." I turned before he could stop me, but as I started to walk away I realized he wasn't even trying to get me to stay. 

His sister was gone. Of course he'd be focused on that.

I gripped the door tightly, my nails digging into the wood as I glanced back at him digging through the rubble for anything that would tell him where they were.

Why be stuck on those missing when we still had three people out there who were depending on us? Why focus on the past when the future was running at us at a full sprint with no sign of it ever slowing down?

I left then, leaving Ambrose behind as I ventured out into the city on my own.

The streets outside were empty.

Maybe we should have realized something was wrong when we left the restaurant and there were no longer crowds of people, but we were too wrapped up in one another.

I could still feel his lips on mine.

His fingers wrapped in my hair, pulling me closer to him. Gone were the hesitant and careful kisses that he once placed on me. He was finally opening himself up to me, giving me all of himself, letting his instincts take control and his mind rest for just a moment.

Was it worth it?

"What are you thinking Sylvia?" He breathed into my ear as he tugged slightly at my lobe with his teeth, sending chills down my spine.

Should I have opened myself up to him?

"I think you should stop talking, Ambrose." I forced my lips back onto his as he pushed me up against the alleyway wall, lifting my feet off of the ground. 

Why did he open himself up to me?

"You were made for me, Sylvia." His lips trailed against my jawline. "I've never had the same hopeless infatuation for another."

I made a mistake. 

"A..Ambrose. We should go back." He grinned up at me, a small spark in his dark eyes.

We shouldn't have gone back.

"I agree." With his hand in mine, we started running down the empty side street back to our home, smiles on both of our faces.

We had never been closer, and yet returning back to that stupid house only pulled us apart again. And why was I thinking about this when I was supposed to be in a rush to find Westley? I shook my head, forcing myself to continue walking down the path at a faster pace. His home was somewhere in this direction.

I think.

A.N. I'm really trying not to rush despite the start of NaNoWriMo quickly approaching and my previous intent on finishing Innocence before then. How terrifying! That's two days away! I now realize this goal is totally unreachable, so I guess I'm including Innocence in on that word count ;)