chapter twenty-one

| Westley |

As soon as she left, I found my head pounding as I was forced to return to the mundane routine of life in parts of the city where Sylvia could never exist. 

My hand still tingled in places her small fingers had touched, yet the empty thud echoing in my chest grew louder with each step I took deeper into the city streets, citizens surrounding me in thicker crowds as I neared the marketplace.

A cake tasting, of all things. Sure, taste was all we truly had to go on in terms of food; the contents would never fill our stomachs, yet the taste could linger in our mouths and for a second, fake humanity could wash over us.

It was pathetic that those people had to hold onto what they used to know, instead of accepting the truth; we were all monsters. I could tell Sylvia thought so; I heard the conversations her and that servant boy had whenever he was able to escape from Carden and come visit.

He was holding onto her just as people held onto the delicacies of food, yet Sylvia in all of her human form was doing the same thing, was she not?

The stalls were bustling as I continued on; Sylvia openly described us as plastic, but all I could see was paper. Fragile emotions and turmoil, covered by drawn on smiles and fake strength that could easily be torn by the correct person.

Torn by me.

And suddenly, this girl was standing ahead of me, her back turned to me and her long brown hair tied up into a knotted bun on the top of her head. Her movements were always slight, as if scared to offend everyone around her, and this was no acceptation. The bakery storefront she stood in front of was welcoming, with its shining glass storefront and cases full of things covered in icing and designs some would refer to as art. Yet, she looked so uncomfortable, her fingers interlocking with themselves as her eyes stared down at the floor.

She only looked up at my approaching footsteps, her terrified eyes glowing with warmth as she was no longer alone.

Only a lifetime with Garden could turn someone so powerful-the princess of the whole city, feared by all those who had not seen her-into someone who held no confidence around strangers. She coughed slightly into her shoulder, standing up straight once again as she let a wave of false power was over her face. "Finally, you're here." She said smugly, turning and walking into the cake shop, leaving me with only the echos of her clicking heels. 

Did she not think I was observant at all? That I couldn't pick up on her body cues?

Was I really such a fool that I didn't know she could do the same for me?

I followed her fleeting form into the back of the building, vines aesthetically crawling up the walls of the store's brick inside. The sitting areas were minimal, as if the owners wanted individuals to browse and look, yet not stay after they had spent there measly money here.

I wanted to claim they were rude, but could I blame them when I rarely wished to partake in the company of these people either?

Evangeline sat in the back with an old woman, turned from human when the city was taken over despite Carden only wishing for the young and beautiful to stay within these walls. Although old, she had very few wrinkles, her skin tight across her face and cheekbones high, with gray curls framing her face in a shoulder-length cut. Her bright hazel eyes examined me as I entered the room, watching the minimal physical interaction between Angie and I as if she was disappointed she didn't see any love between us.

I was willing to admit I was...obsessed with the human girl due to the bond, but love was impossible for our kind; just like the food, it was a cover...something the pathetic people held onto to pretend they were weaker than they truly were.

Why pretend to be human, when you could be like us

I sat next to Evangeline, taking one of her shaking hands in mine as I glanced over the plates of small tasting cakes lined up for us. Walls of flavors were hitting my nose, leaving me almost overwhelmed by the amount of senses that were being taken over in one single breath. 

Evangeline reached for her fork, taking a bite of the first, a raspberry and lemon creation.

I simply watched her.

A.n. || My heart hurts for Evangeline but IT'LL ALL BE OKAY SOON BB YOUR FIANCE IS TRYING TO KILL YOUR DAD IT'S FINEE