Chapter 7

Time spent at school is time wasted.

Elaina's POV

I applied some mascara to my long eyelashes and adjusted my top, checking my outfit in the mirror.

I was wearing dark wash skinny jeans with a purple lacy top, and a white camisole under that.

After the whole conundrum at dinner, I disappeared into my room, wondering how I was going to go about inviting him to dinner.

I decided I would ask Jacey about it. She seemed to know him alright.

I slung my backpack over my shoulder, kissing my mom on the cheek. I finished my toast then got in the car with Devin. He didn't seem to be holding a grudge about last night, and I was awful at holding grudges, so I decided to forget about it. We made playful small talk on the way there, and when I got out of the car, he wished me a good day.

I got out, smiling, thankful that I had such an awesome family.

I saw Jacey talking to a group and I went over to them.

When I was about a yard away from them, Jacey turned around, smiling at first, but her eyes filled with concern as she looked at my shoulder and the bandage.

"What happened?" She demanded, coming to touch my arm lightly.

"Oh, it's nothing, I just cut my arm on a rock in our backyard yesterday." Not lies, but also not exposing me.

"Do you need any antibiotics or bandages or-" she started, but a guy from behind her cut her off.

"Sorry about her, it's like our duty to protect you now," he informed me, not seeming to realize that his words didn't clear up the situation at all. What, was it some sort of wolf thing?

A girl stepped around him to clarify, "... now that you're part of the friend group!"

Wow, very smooth cover up. Definitely a wolf thing.

Jacey snapped out of it, going along with the girl. "Yeah! Everyone, this is Elaina. Elaina, this is Kian," she said, pointing to a tall guy with blonde hair and brown eyes, the one who had announced their obligation to be protective of me. "Jade," she continued, motioning to cover-up girl with long brown hair with purple and pink tips, "Liam," she said, motioning to a guy that had to be 6"5. "And Jo," she finished, looking to a short girl with brown/blonde hair.

I waved to them.

"Hi," I said.

"Welcome to Redmonton," Liam said, pulling me into a hug.

We were embraced for a moment, and when he pulled away, Jacey looked at him with threatening eyes, and they seemed to have an internal conversation.

Trying to distract myself, I turned to the rest of the group. I smiled shyly.

"So, how come I didn't see you around yesterday?" Jo asked me.

"Oh. I felt sick so I went home early," I replied, lying smoothly.

"Ah. Well I'm glad you feel better," Jade said, smiling warmly.

"What's your first period?" Kian asked.

"Language arts," I replied.

"What teacher?" He asked.

"Mr. Dillon," I said.

"Oh. He's pretty awesome," Kian said.

"Yeah, from what I got to see of him, he seemed nice," I said.

"What do you mean what you got to see of him?" Jade asked.

"I started feeling sick first period," I replied.

Her mouth made an o shape and she nodded.

Jacey re-entered the conversation.

"Well, me and Elaina are gonna get going to first period. See ya at lunch," she said, leading me to the doors.

"It's Elaina and I," Liam yelled after us.

"Whatever," she rolled her eyes.

First period went by fairly quickly, as well as the rest of the classes before lunch. I found out I have 2nd period with Liam and Jo, then 3rd with Kian.

Before lunch, Jacey found me and started leading me to the lunch room. I pulled her aside for a moment.

"Does that Justin guy who freaked out in 1st period yesterday go to school here?" I asked.

"No, he graduated last year," she explained. "Sorry about that, by the way. He thought you were someone else he knew," she claimed, looking proud of that lie.

"If I tell you something, will you promise not to tell anyone else?" I questioned.

She nodded loyally.

"While I was waiting for my brother to pick me up, he came out of the school," I revealed, and her eyes widened. "He kinda ambushed me."

Her hand went over her mouth in shock as words tumbled out of her mouth.

"What did he do?? I'll make him pay-" she started, but I stopped her.

"No, no, he just hugged me and... like sniffed my neck. It's okay, Jacey. I just kinda want to talk to him, you know, sort everything out. Can you give him my phone number, or get his for me please?"

She nodded thoroughly. "Definitely. Are you sure it's okay?"

I waved it off.

"Was it nice?" She asked, and I laughed, elbowing her in the side as we entered into the stream of kids headed to the lunchroom.

The rest of the day was gone in a blur, and I was curious to know what was in the crevice, so right after school, I went out onto the rock.

I was looking out into the ocean, admiring the glimmering water, when I heard rustling in the nearby forest. I turned and saw a wolf that was so obviously Justin's, it was funny. He had dark brown fur the color of Justin's hair, and his exact green eyes. His wolf was built, but I could probably take it. He was staring at my shoulder, and I realized Jacey probably told him about my cut, which was already almost healed. Silly protective werewolves.

When I whipped my head around to look at him, I remembered that I was not supposed to know that it was him, so I backed up slowly and didn't look at his eyes until I was a good distance away from him, when I turned and ran the rest of the way to my house. When I looked out the back door, he was gone.

Hey! Thanks for reading. Please comment and vote!