Cross Country

Hey so I'm putting it back up but I can't promise fast updates or nothing. Thank you guys for staying with the book.

Elaina's POV

My phone buzzed quietly beside me, but even the smallest movement woke me. I rubbed my eyes and let out a silent yawn. I knew I'd have to wake my brothers up soon if we wanted to leave on time, so I sat up, pulling the covers with me. The sound of faint snoring and my feet softly patting the carpet was the only sound to be heard.

I walked to Mason's bedroom door. He was the oldest of us at 21, but he was also the laziest, and he took the longest to get up. Suddenly the mouse that I am when I'm alone shuffled into the shadows and my rather... mischievous side came about. I knocked on the door urgently and got ready for some yelling.

"Mason wake up!!!" I screeched. I heard a thud and the door opened abruptly.

"El, what's wrong?!?" He asked, taking in the sight of me. I put away my concerned look and said calmly,

"We leave for Oregon in an hour, it's time to get ready." I smiled sweetly as he looked at me in disbelief. I turned and started walking away as he yelled,

"I thought you were seriously hurt, El!" I turned and looked at him innocently.

"Oh?" I said, and once the words left my mouth, I let out an evil laugh and a grin tugged at the corners of my mouth. He smiled at me as his eyes narrowed, mine widening.

"Mason Cedrick Delnaire if you even think about-" I started to say but I was cut off as he ran into his room and came out bearing two water guns.

"Mason!!" I screeched as he squirted me with the freezing cold water. When he stopped, I looked down to see the front of my pajama shirt sopping with ice cold water. I hmphed loudly, glaring at him as my blue tail with gold specks appeared, causing me to flop back on the plush carpet. You will pay, I thought to myself.

"Let's go wake up the rest of them," he said, grinning evilly. I brought my fist over my tail, and it let off a bit of steam, becoming legs again. I hopped up.

"Josh first," I replied. He handed me a gun and we creeped to Josh's room. Josh was 19, and the second oldest.

"Ready?" Mason asked and I grinned, nodding.

"Ok. 1,2,3!" We burst in and started spraying the bed. We heard a large grunt, and then Josh sat up, looking at us through sleepy eyes.

"Wow guys. Really?" He questioned. I nodded.

"Yup. Were leaving for the airport in an hour, get ready," I said, walking out and heading to Devin's room with Mason in tow. I counted to three and we burst in, scaring the scales out of the oldest of the twins. We told him it was time to get up. Devin and Carson are twins, but Devin is older by 3 minutes, which he always brags about. They're 18, leaving me. I'm the youngest of the 5 kids, and I'm the only girl. Sounds fun right? They're great brothers and I love them more than anything, but I get teased A LOT. Not to say that they don't pay for it later...

As we busted into Carson's room, Mason aimed at Carson, but I aimed at Mase. Once he was drenched, he looked at me in disbelief.

"Hey! We're on the same team," he says, his jaw hanging.

"That's what you get for squirting me," I said proudly. He scowled and promptly tried to spray me again, but I ran out before the stream hit me.

I quickly got dressed into grey sweats and a blue hoodie with Orlando in white font. Throwing my hair into a messy bun, I didn't put on any make up, knowing I was just going to be on a plane all day. All my other clothes were already in the suitcases in the car, so I grabbed my black over the shoulder bag with all my other stuff in it and headed downstairs. I grabbed a banana and headed out the back door to say goodbye to the Florida ocean. As I ate my banana, I sat in the sand that was only 15 feet from my house. Mom always made sure that we got a house right on the beach, you know, being Mers and all. My dad called to me from the back porch and I rushed inside to find chaos. My brothers were rushing around, trying to stuff their breakfast in their mouths so we could leave on time. I got in the car and waited.

7 hours later...

Oregon was surprisingly sunny when we arrived, a few fluffy clouds lining the sky, but not threatening the sun. The lush green forests were almost unreal, looking like something from another world. It was certainly much different from Florida, but I think our family could use the change.

We drove for a few hours to a small town called Redmonton, missing the Main Street in our rush to get to the house. We made our way through a web of narrow streets lined by forest on each side, finally pulling into a gravel road with a tin mailbox at the end of it. We went around a bend where a line of gigantic pine trees blocked our view, and then a house appeared out of the greenery.

There looked to be 2 stories built up from the ground, the strong gray brick rising almost to the treetops. Vines grew up the sides of the house in intricate green designs. The house had a series of angular roofs with a cylinder lined with windows on the far right side of the house. The door was an arched, dark brown masterpiece of carpentry that drew your attention in, and I was immediately anxious to walk through it and see the rest of the beautiful house.

We finished getting all of the luggage out of the car and into the house right as the sun was setting. I couldn't wait to see my room and the rest of the house. I stared at my mom, Hana, expectantly and she looked at all of us.

"Well, what are you waiting for? Go check it out!" She yelled.

We all rushed upstairs to see 6 doors on each side of the hallway, and one with double doors at the end. Each room had a label on it, the two in the middle were labeled bathroom and the other four had my brother's names. Mom had come here before hand for about a week to help the interior designers get everything perfect. I turned around and right at the top of the staircase to the left was an open doorway with a spiral staircase going up. I rushed up it and at the top was a singular door that was labeled Elaina.

I opened the door and lost my breath. The walls were painted a rich taupe color that contrasted with the forest through the windows. On one wall was a full bed with a magenta comforter and matching pillow cases that looked like they'd be very soft. There was a desk that had a black office chair and there were cream bulb lights lining the beams on the dark brown boarded ceiling. There were two doors on the right of the desk, one a closet and the other, a bathroom. I pulled back a curtain and saw a built in window seat with deep purple and white striped pillows. The window showcased the beautiful lush forest with only a bit of the ocean in the corner. Suddenly I realized that the room was an octagon, and if there were windows on each side, you would get a 360 of the scenery around the house. Just as I was thinking of this, I noticed a ladder in one of the corners/ angles.

I climbed the ladder to see that the architect had a mind similar to mine. The walls were covered in windows, the only place there wasn't one was 2 feet above the ground and 2 feet below the ceiling, which was a cone. There were built in window seats all around the perimeter, with pillows lining the walls. I looked out over the ocean and felt a longing, then I looked to the forest so I could resist the urge to run down the ladder and stairs and swim. The closest house was about 5 miles to the north, so we didn't have to worry about anybody being on our beachfront property, or seeing us in the water. I could see the tip of a rooftop on a cliff in the distance.

Dad told us that werewolves lived in the house closest to us, and that we needed to be cautious when we were in the woods. I insisted that it wouldn't be a problem, but then again, I had only experienced them once.

I rushed downstairs and hugged my mother, knowing she planned all of that just for me.

"I love it so so so much mom!! Thank you!" I said. My dad smiled at me over her shoulder and I rushed to hug him too. Mase and the boys came rumbling down the stairs as he said,

"Anyone up for a swim?"

Thanks for reading. :)