Chapter 3

Hello! I'm updating again! Has anybody read really good stories based off of mermaids and werewolves, because I've been addicted to this lately!

Justin's POV

I burst out of my dad's office and ran down the stairs, needing to get out and away. I knew that my dad was just trying to prepare me for the hardships of running a pack, and I definitely respected him, but it felt like he was just chastising my every move. There was no right way to run a pack, and he kept making it seem like everything I did had to be exactly the way he did it. Our pack had been prosperous and thriving in the time my dad had been leading them, and he deserved a lot of credit for ending rivalries with 3 other packs, so he no doubt knew what he was doing, but he didn't have anyone teach him how to do that. He was born a leader; every alpha is. And every alpha changes the pack in their own way. I just want to run the pack with my belief system, family and friends and happiness. My dad doesn't understand that I will be fine running the pack the way he did, with heart and instinct. Every time I went into his office, it was do it this way, or don't do that. It was making me claustrophobic, so I went outside and towards the cliff, breathing in the air, which was a mix of ocean and forest.

The sun was low in the sky, close to the edge of the water. The clouds were pink and light and carefree. Even the ocean was calm and serene when I looked down. The only thing out of place was an imperfection on the smooth outcrop near the water at the bottom of the cliff. A blue dot sat there, and as I looked closer, I realized that the blue dot was a tail, attached to a torso. A blonde girl-fish sat on the ledge, her wet hair sticking to her back. Suddenly, she looked up, her features undoubtedly gorgeous and calm, until she saw me. Our eyes never made direct contact, but I could tell the second she saw me, for her face contorted in panic and she dove into the ocean with perfect form, her blue tail disappearing into the water.

Had I just encountered a mermaid?

I was planning on telling the pack about her in the meeting that was taking place that night. I knew they would believe me, I was the alphas eldest son and widely respected. I would tell them not to hurt her though. I was interested in the mysterious girl. I wanted to know more about her. And not much would be able to stop me.

Elaina's POV

Dad geared me up with a simple knife and a protective vest, giving Mason a crossbow and vest similar to mine. We went over the plan one last time before dad sent us out the door, wishing us luck and saying to scream in the bond if anything went wrong. I had a bond with my parents and brothers because you know, they're my family. It wasn't like the love bond, where you could feel everything that your partner did, but you could communicate without ever opening your mouth.

We ran quietly into the forest, faster than a mortal because our speed on land and in water is not normal. Once we saw lights about 50 yards in the distance, we slow down, sticking to the shadows and watching out for sticks we didn't want to snap.

There were hundreds of good sized houses behind the meeting hall (not as big as our house of course) and it looked like a neighborhood. There was the rumbling of speech rolling out the open windows, and thankful for the tree cover, we snuck closer. Once we were ducked on either side of a window, Mason talked to me through the bond.

"There's no way we're getting in there." He stated.

Suddenly, it got quieter and I figure that meant they were all concentrated on something that wouldn't be this window. I peeked inside. My eyes scanned the room for the boy, but somehow I didn't have to.

He stood on a stage, off to the side, behind someone that looked like he was his dad. Same chocolate hair, same piercing green eyes.

"There's been a security breach! They haven't left the property!" I heard footsteps on the wooden floors as I ran past the door, not bothering to hide anymore. I knew we had to get out of there. I ran in the direction of the cliff and looked behind me to see a couple of wolves and boys glaring at me, still running, trying to catch up. Mase was right beside me as I launched myself over the side of the cliff, he followed suit.

Once I saw Mase hit the water, I began swimming away as quickly as possible, knowing he would keep up with me. Once we got back to shore, I dried off quickly and began walking inside, my gear still intact. Mase grumbled as he ran after me.

"At least he doesn't know what you look like without a tail," he mumbled.

"Yea," I said breathlessly. Walking inside together, we explained to dad how everything went and he seemed unhappy that we weren't able to kill or convince the boy to not share our existence, but content that we were home. The boys went downstairs to the game room, but I still felt a little weird, so told my parents goodnight and retreated to my bedroom.

I went to the second level after showering and changing into my pajamas and stared out into the forest. Suddenly, I felt a longing to be back at the werewolves' territory, and an equal amount of longing to be in the ocean. The feelings just made me more confused, so I went down to my bed and fell asleep.

Oooooh I can feel some romance coming on!! Thanks for reading!