Chapter 1: The (Cliche) Beginning

It's a hard knock life.

And I'm not talking about some Annie the musical bullshit where life sucks and then you get adopted by a bald billionaire.

I'm saying, that life sucks. A lot. And anyone who's ever told you that life is fun, is lying. If you've ever experienced life like I have, then you know how awful it is. I would commit suicide, but I've got too many biology assignments to do.

Some people believe that if you gloss over your problems and, believe in yourself and be happy, then everything will be ok! Well they're stupid. Because that's not how it works. You can't just run from your problems, well I do it all the time, but that's besides the point. What I'm saying is, that if you have problems, you can push them aside for as long as you want, but they will always come back to bite you in the ass.

Like my problems. I have a lot. And it all began at age three. When my parents dropped me off on the side of a curb right next to an orphanage.

The women, who's name was Ms. Burkley, said in her best most sweetest voice, with a cigarette in hand,

"Where the hell did you come from?!" And I looked at her with tear streaks on my face, squeezing my teddy bear I was left with and said;

"Momma forgot me." Sad right? Well don't get to sad the fun hasn't even started. I'll give you the short version so we aren't sitting here for hours. When she finally let me live in the orphanage, let me tell you, I was not happy. I kept thinking how my mom was gonna come lookin for me any minute.

But I, was very wrong.

I'll skip all the drama and just tell you, that from age three to now, which is age 13 almost 14, sucked. So here I am now.

I don't really have any friends believe it or not. I know most orphan stories you hear they have a best friend or something, but I could care less about these assholes. Today, was cleaning day. And the secret about cleaning day, is that Ms. Burkley is as blind as a bat. And trust me she doesn't care if I work, as long as she can't see me. But if you are seen, you're gonna be aching for days. That belt she uses, is pure leather with a large metal buckle at the end. The belt won't hurt you too much, but the metal part is the thing that'll leave marks. Bad ones. But luckily I've only been caught twice. Because of my secret spot on the roof. No, I don't put tally marks on a giant wooden crate to show how long I've been here, this isn't meet the freakin robinsons. There's no family coming for me, that's for sure.

"What are you doing, taco?" The youngest, Molly, otherwise known as the biggest snitch on earth. She's only nine, but she's caught every girl doing something they ain't supposed to here. She's a little scared of me, since I'm the second oldest and I've been here the longest so I get the most respect. I glared at her and looked back out unto the glistening city.

"Beat it." She frowned and shut the door quietly, ignoring what I had just told her.

"Is this your secret spot?" She teased as she poked my shoulder, jumping onto the crate with me.

"I said, beat it. And if you tell anyone about this-"

"I won't. I know you can beat me up faster than I can blink." I scoffed and looked at her, smirking.

"You sure are a smartass." She shrugged with a mischievous grin.

"I try." I rolled my eyes and looked back to the twilight lit city.

"Anyway, I came to tell you that Ms. Burkley wants to see you." My stomach jumped into my throat.

"Does she-"

"No, she doesn't. Kate told her that you've been making your bed. For two hours." I sighed, relieved. None of us may like eachother, but Kate cares about me for some weird reason. Kate isn't horrible, but she can be scary if you piss her off.

"Fine. Let's go." Molly shrugged.

"I'll stay here." I hopped off the giant wooden box and walked to the door.

"C'mon smartass." She grumbled something under her breath and hopped off the crate. I opened the door, revealing the disgusting, rotting staircase. I could hear every single girl downstairs, clamoring to finish cleaning. Then I saw Kate run past.

"There you are! You little- come here! Ms Burkley has been looking for you for 20 minutes! I sent Molly to find you ages ago." My mouth fell open and I turned around to yell at Molly, but she was already happily skipping away from us. I glared at her, even though I know she couldn't see me. Kate grabbed my face and pointed behind her.

"Get downstairs, NOW!" I frowned and shoved past her, walking to Ms. Burkley's office.

15 year olds are jerks.