Chapter Forty: Destiny's Shadow

9:00 A.M.

"I'm sorry but unless you're family you cannot enter the room." the doctor informed Lydia and Scott as they stood outside of Stiles' hospital room in the ICU, having received a call from Stilinski that Stiles had been attacked by something.  He didn't say what it was, and from the tone of his voice Lydia would guess that Stilinski didn't have a clue as to what that thing was.

"They're family... might as well be." Stilinski smiled coming up behind them, pale with worry.  The two teens jumped around, expecting answers from Stilinski, but there was no answers.

After getting the clear from the doctor, the three entered the room.  Scott immediately gulped at the sight of his best friend laying in that bed, looking like death itself.  His face was lifeless, covered with cuts and bruises, and the rest of his torso was bandaged.  Scott didn't have to see under the hospital gown to know that Stiles' chest and stomach received the worst of the damage.

He sat down beside Stiles in a chair while Lydia walked on the opposite side of the bed and held the unconscious teen's hand.

"What happened..." Scott asked weakly raising his head up to look at Stilinski.

"I don't know.  I was downstairs, getting coffee and there were these loud noises and growls were coming from his room.  I went up there, and when I didn't get an answer but there were more crashes, I busted the door down.  His room was trashed.  The entire desk is destroyed and his closet is in shambles right now.  There was nothing in his room when I got there.  Stiles was laying in his closet, looking like... like that." he motioned towards his son, all while keeping his eye on the strawberry blonde that just so happened to be wearing Stiles' jacket, the one he had given him for his birthday last year.  A small smile came upon Stilinski's face at that, to which he couldn't deny that he felt that perhaps they were finally together after all this time.  Although a conversation between him and Stiles last night proved otherwise.

"Is he going to be okay?" Lydia asked weakly, and Stilinski sighed.

"I don't know, but I do know that I'm going to make whoever hurt my son pay..." the officer growled, stepping forward and sitting down beside his son in a chair and just watched him breathe.

Come on, Stiles.  You can get better, just keep breathing.  If you stop breathing I don't know what I'll do.

The air was thick as Derek entered the dark room in the warehouse in Harlem he had been staying at for the past few days with that green skinned man and the other people that had accompanied him in that van.

He felt sick, remembering what he had done to Stiles.  How Stiles laid there, bruised and battered, it just made Derek sick to his stomach.  Whether Derek wanted to hurt him or not, Derek had no choice in the matter.  It was either kill him or hurt him... and Derek couldn't do that to him, so he chose the option that would let Stiles live.  Maybe Stiles could actually live a normal life now that he had been injured to that point, and he wouldn't pursue this any further.

Stiles may have been a Cross Species, but he was still a member of Derek's pack, he was Derek's brother now and to have hurt him that way, it just hurt Derek more than any bullet could.

The man with the green skin wanted Derek to kill him, but Derek had luckily been able to have enough control to offer the non-lethal option, and now as Derek entered that room where he was supposed to be waiting he could easily see him waiting in the darkness for him, looking not pleased whatsoever.