True Family (Sam x Reader)

Start from the beginning

"Sam..."

"I'm good. I am," he told her. He smiled at her. It was his quick, tight lipped smile. The one he used when he didn't want to be rude but was done with the conversation. Mary nodded her head, gave a soft "alright" and left the room.

"I'll start looking around online," you told him, grabbing another spare computer. When did we get so many laptops? "See if there are any legitimate angel sightings. Then maybe we could sleep for more than 20 mins," you said, noticing that Sam's dark undereye circles and bloodshot eyes mirrored your own.

"More than 20 mins? Someone's getting greedy."

-

Sam had left some minutes ago. He'd gone to check on Jack and you wanted to give them some alone time before you went to say hi. Everyone else had left the room as well, off to carry out Sam's orders or to do whatever it is they did. You still weren't sure what that was either.

You were halfway through an article when you heard someones footsteps approaching. You looked up and saw Mary. You sighed internally. Great.

You looked back at your screen as she took Sam's seat.

"Anything promising?" She asked.

"Not yet. What about you? Got any leads?" You said turning to her. She furrowed her brow and looked at you confused.

"No?" She said. "Why would I?" You shrugged and went back to your computer.

"I don't know. I just thought that since your eldest son was missing you'd be looking around. Guess I was wrong." She pursed her lips at your remark but didn't comment.

"I'm concerned about Sam," she said.

"Or are you? Hmm," you said sarcastically. "At least one of your children has your attention." She responded with narrowing her eyes and you and continued.

"I don't think Sam's been sleeping. Or eating."

"There's not much time for either of those things on the road," you said. "And neither of those things come easy in these situations anyways." You turned to look at her, cocking your head to the side and resting it against you palm. As you looked at her you noticed her perfectly applied makeup and her precisely curled hair. Her eyes were clear and bright and her skin was flawless. "I'm glad to see it doesn't seem to be taking much of a toll on you though."

"And what makes you say that?" She asked smugly.

"Oh you know, just the fact that some of us are sitting here with flakes of week old mascara clinging to our eyelashes, have soot and ash staining our jeans, and can't remember the last time we actually washed our hair and others of us look like they just walked out of a Macy's but whatever."

"These are my sons we're talking about," she said. "I am extremely worried about both of them."

"I can see your amount of concern just by looking at you," you snapped. "You don't have to put up a front for me. I'm worried about them for the both of us a few times over."

"You have no idea what it's like for a mother to be in this situation," she defended. "They will always come first."

"Oh I can tell by your track record where they lie on your list of concerns. How's Ketch?" You asked casually. She clenched her jaw, looking like she wanted to nothing more than to throttle you.

"That was quite a greeting between you and Sam. Does Dean know how cozy you are with his brother?"

You laughed out loud and turned back to your computer. "Please, I've been hunting with them for the majority of my life. We all know were we stand together. We've been "cozier" than that when Dean is in the room with us. Don't mistake our friendship with something more. It's not my fault you can't understand just how tight our relationships are."

"That's just not how it looks to me," she said.

"We'll you haven't been here for a couple of decades. Now I can't exactly fault you for that but when you were you stayed for a few weeks. Can't learn much about us when your across the country. Now I'm sure you didn't want to sit and argue for 30 mins so why don't you tell me what the original purpose of this visit was."

"You would have known what I wanted if you didn't keep interrupting with your insults," she huffed.

"I apologize for that," you replied. "I just can't help it when it comes to my Winchesters." You smiled sarcastically at her and you could see her physically holding back a retort.

"I just want Sam to eat something and get some sleep. He doesn't like to listen to me. And as much has I hate to admit it, he listens to you. So if you could please mention this to my son and convince him to take care of himself before his body shuts down I would really appreciate it." She stood up abruptly and shoved her chair in before stomping away.

You shook your head and rubbed your eyes. You were meaner than you needed to be. You knew that. You shouldn't have been mean at all. You had promised yourself you were going to try and be more civil with Mary but you couldn't help it. You had to many negative feelings and thoughts about her. That coupled with the fact you couldn't eat or sleep really didn't help.

She was right though. You and Sam were running on fumes and your bodies were on the brink of collapse...

You found Sam in the corner of the library, researching something or other.

"Hey 'Chief'," you called out. He looked up and you saw the relief in his face when he saw it was just you. "In thirty minutes I expect you to be showered and sitting in front of my TV ready for sandwiches and a screening of Goodfellas. No excuses."

-

A few hours later Mary found herself wandering through the halls. She realized she was heading to your room but she wasn't sure what she planned to do when she got there. She found the door slightly ajar. She called out to you and when there wasn't an answer she pushed the door back. Inside she saw you and Sam sprawled out across your small couch, both sleeping soundly, even though Ray Liotta was yelling about something on the TV. On the small table in front of you there were scraps of a meal and several empty water bottles. She closed the door soundly. She was glad that she'd gotten what she wanted, Sam was taken care of. But she couldn't help the jealously she felt knowing that it had been because of you and not her...