Mormont Bear

*******************************************************

This is a Jorah Mormont oneshot I wrote up a while ago (it's a more elaborated fanfic in one of my other stories, The Dragonborne Comes) as part of another story on my profile, around the time season 1 and 2 came out and Jorah was exiled. Of course we now know better, but I had a different ending in mind for our lovely Mormont Bear. Let me know what you guys think, and please comment and vote!

Oh, and bear with me, for its a long one (but definitely one with a happy ending, lol) However, if you prefer to skip ahead to the sexy times, they're marked with a ' ***** ', and you can start reading from there (although of course I think it gives more of a complete picture to read the whole thing).

*******************************************************

There's a thin line between love and insanity, they said.

Then how was it that had he had lost everything he ever cared about?

Jorah Mormont had been restless, aimlessly wandering the lands beyond the narrow sea after losing his title as a Lord for being a slave trader. He had been lost, without a cause or reason to live, staying alive in the hopes of finding something worth living for. Something to believe in.

And then Daenerys came along.

With her beauty and her grace she came into his life and changed everything in the blink of an eye. The moment he had laid eyes upon her, he knew that he had found his reason, his purpose. In the timid young girl, he found his will and strength again, and a fierce desire to protect her.

Hearing about Vyseris's plan to marry her off to that brute of a Khal, Jorah briefly thought he could have killed him for it. There wasn't anything he could do about it though, and his honor kept him from acting on his anger. And all he could think about was her. She dominated his every thought and haunted his dreams. And still there was no way he could protect her, not from her own flesh and blood. Her own brother.

And so Jorah watched the woman he loved getting married to the Khal, and in that moment he decided that the only way to keep her safe was for him to become her protector. To become her guardian and earn her trust. Something he yearned for not only in the name of duty, but also in the name of love. So he stayed with her. He remained with the Khalasar and tried to keep her safe as best as he could. He watched her grow from a shy and timid girl into a fierce and passionate woman. She was kind and gentle, and even though she had the blood of the Targaryen coursing through her veins, Jorah could not detect in her the madness he so clearly saw in Vyseris.

When the attempts on her life happened, and shortly after he was approached by the Kings men, Jorah had made a choice. A choice to become an informant to the people in Kings Landing, and therefore make an attempt at keeping Daenerys safe. If the people concerned about her in Kings Landing got legitimate and accurate information, the need to finish her off would considerably lessen, and he would perhaps be able to keep her safe. It felt so wrong, but it was the only way he could think of to truly keep Daenerys safe. To protect her from those who wished her harm. Even from himself. When Vyseris, the supposed "last of the dragons", met his end after insulting Khal Drogo, Jorah couldn't help but feel relieved. He had never liked the man, and he had been insane. When after that the Khal also perished, Jorah could see how it had affected Daenerys. The thought of her being happily married to that brute of a man was an unpleasant one, but even Jorah could not deny that in his own way, Drogo had cared very deeply from his princess from another shore. When Jorah finally learned of her pregnancy, he tried vehemently to hide his true feelings. When the miscarriage happened, and shortly after Khaleesi was forced to end the life of her husband, he truly thought the worst had passed.