3 AM

Rye Beaumont

  “Why are you all wet?!” Andy asks as soon as he saw her.

   Alexandria didn’t say anything, she shakes her head and just stands by the side of the room as she rubs her arm to somehow make herself warm.

   “I’ll just get you a towel.” Andy says and hurries out of the room.

   “Uh, should I make you a cup of tea?” Mikey gets up from the sofa.

   I nod for her, before Mikey walks out of the room and head to the kitchen to make her a cup of tea. I just put the cans of sodas on top of the coffee table and look around the room for a chair, so she could sit down.

   “Jack, help me look for a chair please.” I say to him without looking at him.

   “Okay.” he gets up from the sofa and looks for a stool in a different room.

   I glance at Alexandria and Brooklyn’s currently hugging her and keeping her warm, which makes me smile a little – it’s one of the things that I like about Brooklyn, he’s really sweet and he really knows how to make someone better. Just as I am about to look away, she suddenly lost her consciousness.

   “Woah, woah, woah!” Brooklyn says, trying to keep her up on her feet.

   I hurry over to them and lift her up, bridal style. I walk down the hall and come across Andy, who’s now holding a towel.

   “What happened?” Andy asks with his eyes slightly wide, looking at Alexandria in concern.

   “I – I don’t know, she just lost her consciousness.” I stutter out.

   Andy quickly opens a door to one of the rooms down the hallway, “Just put her on the bed.”

   I didn’t say anything, I just did what he told me.

   “Look after her for a while, I’ll just call Mrs. Anderson.” he says and leaves the room.

   I take the towel that Andy left on the bed and wipe her face and arms with it, then I rummage through my backpack at the side of the bed and pull out the first button–down shirt that I saw. I walk towards the bed and just look at her; hesitating whether I should do it or not, but I don’t really have a choice. I breathe out and sit her up, facing her to the other side so I could only see her back before taking her shirt off.

   “What the hell are you doing?!” Andy asks, stopping by the doorway.

   “I am changing her clothes.” I reply, glancing at him. “I am being careful, don’t worry.” I assure him.

   I look away and work on carefully buttoning her shirt, before laying her back down and put the back of my hand against her forehead to check her temperature.

   “Is she okay?” Jack walks into the room with a concern look on his face.

   “No, she has a really high fever.” I reply.

   “I’ll go get a towel and a basin.” he says and leaves the room.

   As I wait for Jack to come back, I just put a blanket over her and sit on the edge of the bed; just looking at her. I really miss her a lot, just being close to her, talking to her, seeing her smile..

   “I got it!” Jack walks into the room and puts the basin down on the bedside table.

   “Thanks, man.” I say, smiling at him a little.

   “Mrs. Anderson isn’t answering.” Andy turns to look at me worriedly.

   “She’s probably at work right now.” I reply, glancing at Alexandria. “Well, don’t bother anymore, let’s just look after her.”