GAME GOES ON

Alexandria Anderson

  I put my phone down at the side and walk over to the bookshelf to look for a book to read, but a sticky note stuck on one of the books catches my attention, I take it out and read it.

I borrowed one of your books,
I hope you don’t mind :)

PS:
I like your taste in books ;) x

– Rye

   I smile and go over to the window seat and take my phone to text him.

to: Ryan Beaumont
      — Ryan, I just saw the sticky note that you left on the bookshelf 😅 Thank you and of course, I don’t mind; you can borrow my books anytime you want, I hope you enjoy the book ☺ x

  After texting him, I go back to the bookshelf and take out John Green’s Paper Town book and start to read it on the window seat. Later on, I receive a text from him.

fr: Ryan Beaumont
     — Actually, I put that note a couple days ago but thank you 😉

   Rye and I just text throughout the whole afternoon and it is now four or five in the afternoon, I was just about to go downstairs when Andy starts to call.

  “Hi, Andy!” I chirp, answering his call.

   “Are you doing something?” he asks, his voice somewhat solemn.

   The way he said it makes my smile fade and I furrow my eyebrows.

   “No, I am not doing anything.” I reply. “Why, what’s the matter?”

   “Josh’s leaving already, I just thought you might want to say goodbye.” he says.

   It takes me a while, before I could answer. I met Josh weeks ago and he is a really nice lad, funny, and caring. We became really close to each other in just a short amount of time, it reminds me of Cam and how sad we were when he left. I snap out of my thoughts when Andy speaks up again.

   “Alexa?” he asks. “Are you coming?”

   “Y–yeah, I’ll be there in five.” I say, ending the call.

  I quickly change into a pair of light blue jeans and just put on a jumper and slip into a pair of white Toms, then I grab my phone and head to my Mom’s bedroom.

   “Mom, I’ll just go to the flat to say goodbye to Josh; I’ll be back before dinner.” I say.

   “Wait,” she gets up from her bed. “say goodbye to him for me.”

   I smile a little and nod, “I will, nos vemos, Mama.”

   Without waiting for her reply, I go downstairs and head over to their flat. I knock and Brooklyn answers the door after a few seconds.

   “Alexa.” he says, his voice flat.

   “Hi, Brooky.” I smile a little at him.

   Brook lets me in and I walk into their room, all of them are just quiet which is really odd.

  “Hi.” I say, they didn’t say anything; they just smile at me a little and nod.

   I turn to Josh and ask him if we could talk, he gets up from Brooklyn’s bed and we go to their kitchen to talk. Josh and I are facing each other, as we lean against the counter behind us.

  “Are you really going?” I ask after a minute of silence.

   “Yeah, um, I just feel like it’s not for me.” he replies.

  I breathe out, “I understand, just remember that we will always be with you to support you in everything, okay?” I say, making him smile.

  “Thank you, Alexa, I really appreciate it.” he replies.

  He walks toward me gives me a tight hug, I couldn’t help it; tears start to stream down my cheek. He pulls away and smiles at me, as he wipes my cheek with his thumb.

   “I am sorry.” I chuckle, lightly.

   “Please don’t cry, don’t worry; we’ll still talk to each other.” he assures me.

   I nod and wipe my cheeks, “Thank you, it’s just that I hate goodbyes; I don’t even know why there’s good in goodbyes.”

   “Yeah, ironic, right?” he chuckles.

   I let out a chuckle and nod, then we were just quiet again.

   “Hey, Josh.” I look up at him.

   “Yeah?” he asks.

   “Don’t forget about us, okay or else we’re not friends anymore.” I pout like a little kid, making him laugh again.

   “I will never forget you and the lads, I had so much fun with all of you and I will always keep those memories with me.” he replies whilst rubbing my back soothingly.

   Before I could say anything, we hear a chorus of aw’s from the hallway and we look over to the hallway and all of the lads are there.

  “Group hug!” Rye shouts.

  The lads run over to us and next thing I know is that I could barely breathe anymore because of how tight they are hugging each other. We all pull away and Josh had to go already, so we all go downstairs and say our last goodbyes before he and Mikey walk through the door of the building. I go upstairs and sit on their sofa, whilst the other boys are still downstairs. A minute or so after, Andy and Brook walk into the room. Brook lays down on his bed, whilst Andy smiles at me a little and sits next to me.

  “It’s okay, Alexandria, the game goes on.” he squeezes my hand lightly.

  “Yeah, the game goes on.” I repeat, as I lay my head on his shoulder.