INVITATION

Alexandria Anderson

  A couple days had past after I met Andy’s friends and I am already at ease with them. Well, except for Rye. I saw their vlogs and he really is different when I am around, I don’t know if it’s because he’s just shy or if it’s because of our first encounter at the ice skating rink. I sigh and get up from my seat near the window and walk downstairs into the kitchen.

  “Hm,” I inhale the delicious aroma of the lasagna in the oven. “that smells delicious.” I say.

  Mom laughs, “Well, I hope it’s as delicious as it smells.”

  “I am certain that it’ll be delicious,” I reply, making her laugh again. “how many minutes more?” I ask, as I sit on the counter stool.

  “Approximately five minutes.” she replies.

  “I can’t wait.” I beam, I just really love lasagna – actually, I like any Italian foods.

  “Well, there’s actually two in the oven cause I thought that you might want to bring some lasagna for the boys.” she says.

  “You did?” I ask enthusiastically and she nods. “Alright, I’ll bring it to them later.” I reply.

  The timer of the oven goes off and Mom takes the mittens on top of the counter and puts it on, before she takes the baking dishes out of the oven.

  “By the way, are we going to watch a movie?” I ask.

  Mom looks at me with a smile and nods, “Let’s just wait for the lasagna to cool, so we can eat while watching the movie.” she says.

  “Okay.” I walk into the Living room and start to look for a movie that we can watch, I pick out Nicholas Sparks’ A Walk to Remember and put it in the DVD player.

  Afterwards, I walk back into the kitchen where Mom slices some lasagna for the two of us before we go to the Living room. I take the remote from the coffee table and play it, before I take my plate and settle down next to my Mom.

  “What are we going to watch?” she asks.

  “A Walk to Remember.” I casually say with a shrug.

  Mom puts her plate down on her lap and looks at me, “Oh, come on, not Nicholas Sparks, Alexandria.”

  “What, why?” I chuckle.

  “His movies are tearjerkers.” she replies.

  “Yeah, but they’re superb.” I smile at her, putting a slice of lasagna in my mouth.

  “I suppose that’s true.” she chuckles and starts to eat hers too.

  A smile tugs at the corners of my lips, as I turn my attention to the movie. I feel genuinely happy and thankful that we get to do this every Sunday, it’s either we go out or we watch a movie together.

• • •

  I bite my lip as tears stream down my cheeks; wiping them, I look at my Mom and she’s crying too – it’s because of Jamie and Landon’s scene where Jamie finally told Landon about her condition. After a couple minutes, we hear the door bell. I look at my Mom and wipe my cheek, before I get up from the sofa and answer the door.

  “Andy, Ryan.” I utter in surprise. “Um, come on in.” I say and step at the side to let them in.

  “Wait, what’s the matter, why are you crying?” Andy worriedly asks.

  I look at Rye and he looks at me in concern, but I quickly look away and shake my head. “It’s nothing, we’re just watching a movie.” I state.

  “Oh, I thought it was serious.” he chuckles and I just sheepishly smile.

  “Nevermind that, Andy, come on in.” I say to them again.

  Andy walks in and Rye follows him into the Living room, I lock the door and follow the lads.

  “Afternoon, Mrs. Anderson.” he says.

  Mom gets up from her seat and walks towards us, “Hello, Andrew.” she turns to Rye and smiles, “You must be one of Andrew’s friends.” she says and Rye nods.

  “I am Rye, it’s a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Anderson.” Rye smiles, which he barely does when I am around him.

  “Oh, it’s my pleasure, sweetheart.” Mom replies.

  “By the way, we are going to Mile End Football Stadium for the Soccer Six fest in about an hour and we just want to know if you two would like to come and watch our game.” Andy states.

  “I am certain that Alexandria would love to watch your game and so do I.” Mom smiles, looking at me.

  “Great, um, we’ll head back now, we still have to fix our stuffs for later.” Andy says.

  “Hold on, you two are going already?” I ask.

  “Yeah,” Andy replies, furrowing his eyebrows in question. “why?”

  “So you just came over to ask us if we would like to go and watch your game, you could’ve just texted me or called me.” I say.

  Andy shrugs, “We want to do it personally.” he gives me one of those charming smile of his. “Anyway, we’ll go now.”

  “Wait a minute!” Mom exclaims, she runs to the kitchen and comes back with a baking dish. “I cooked lasagna for you and your friends.” she states with a smile.

  “Oh, w–we’re okay, Mrs. Anderson, that’s too much.” Andy stutters.

  “Don’t be silly, sweetheart, I’d be upset if you didn’t take it.” she replies.

  “Well, I don’t really have a choice.” Andy chuckles and takes it from her hands. “It smells delicious.” he says.

  “It tastes delicious as well.” I add.

  “Oh, you two.” she laughs, putting her hands on our backs.

  “We have to go now, Mrs. Anderson, thank you for the lasagna.” Andy says.

  Andy and Rye walk to the front door of our house and I open the door for them. Andy thanks me, before he steps outside the doorstep. As Rye was about to step out, he stops and turns to my Mom.

  “It was pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Anderson, and thank you for the food.” he says.

  “Oh, it’s nothing and it was a pleasure to meet you too.” she smiles.

  Rye nods and he and Andy walk down the sidewalk, I close the door and turn to my Mom who was waiting for me.

  “You know, that kid looks familiar.” Mom furrows her eyebrows, as she looks up at the ceiling.

  “Who, Ryan?” I ask, sitting down on the sofa.

  “Yeah.” she replies and looks at me.

  “I’ve shown you a picture of Andy and his friends before, that’s probably where you saw him.” I shrug.

  “Oh, right.” she replies, a smile tugging at the corners of her lips. “Well, why don’t we just go and get ready?” she asks.

  I smile and nod, guess we’re just going to continue the movie later.