JOKE

Alexandria Anderson

   “Wait, I'll be back in a second.” I say to Brook, putting the controller down as I get out of the bed and walk down into the kitchen.

   “You like it?” I stop when I hear Rye’s voice.

   “Of course, it’s really beautiful!” that voice.. it’s definitely Ella’s.

   I sigh and just continue to walk quietly into the kitchen and head straight to the fridge, acting as if I didn’t know they were there. I glance at them as I walk into the kitchen and I see a box on top of the table in front od Ella, smiling as she admires whatever’s in the box whilst Rye intently looks at her with a small smile. I unconsciously slam the door of the fridge, which catches their attention.

   “Alexandria,” Rye says in surprise, standing up from his seat whilst Ella immediately tries to hide the box. “is your game with Brook over?”

   “No,” I reply rather tersely and drink the water, I put it on top of the counter and start to walk out of the kitchen. “I just went downstairs to drink some water.”

   Rye grabs my wrist and stops me, “Wait a second, I, uh, I was wondering if we could go out tonight.”

   “Why don’t you ask her out?” I mutter and start to walk away.

   “Alexandria.” he says, but I just ignore him.

   I go upstairs and walk into Brook’s room, letting out a breath as I go back to where I was previously sitting.

   “You alright?” he asks, looking at me in concern. “You look pissed.”

   “I am okay.” I curtly reply, taking the controller in front of me.

   He seems to be taken aback with the tone of my voice and when I realize it, I suddenly feel bad.

   “I am sorry, Brook, I didn’t mean to be rude.” I breathe out. “Let’s just finish our match, shall we?”

   “Yeah, okay.” he takes his controller and resumes the game.

   After the match, I apologize to him again and leave his room. I stop walking when I see Rye on his way towards my direction, I was about to descend the stairs when he grabs my wrist for the third time today.

   “Can we talk?” he asks.

   “I believe we have nothing to talk about.” I reply and turn to walk away, but he didn’t let go of my wrist.

   “Alexandria, please.” he says, looking at me in a hopeful way. “I don’t want you to be mad at me.”

   “I am not –”

   “Then why are you acting like that?” he cuts me off.

   I shake my head and walk down the stairs, but he hurries and blocks my way.

   “Please.” he says almost in a whisper.

   I avoid his eye contact and try to walk past him, but he still didn’t stir; looking at the side, I bite my lip as tears start to brim my eyes.

   “Alexandria, please, just tell me what’s wrong.” he takes my hand in his.

   “You wouldn’t even care anyways.” I retort, pulling my hand away.

   “Who said I wouldn’t care?” he questions, a pinch of vexation perceptible in the tone of his voice.

   “Rye, we barely even have time together cause you are always busy with your phone and with that girl lately.” I say.