RATIONALE

Alexandria Anderson

  When I woke up today, my eyes hurt and it’s really red and puffy. At first, I didn’t feel like getting up from the bed due to my headache but I remember that I still have things to pack. I stifle, as I pack my stuffs into the luggage.

   “Where are you going?” I hear someone asks.

   I freeze, I stop what I was doing and stood up straight; hiding the luggage behind me even though he probably saw it already.

   “Andy, I – I thought you’re in Bristol right now.” I stutter out.

   “I left the hotel early to go here cause I want to personally check on you after yesterday.” he replies.

   “Oh, I am okay.” I say, my voice slightly cracking.

   “It doesn’t seem like it,” he retorts and walks over. “did you just cry?”

   “No, I am just not feeling well.” I look away from him and just turn to my luggage.

   “You are so bad at lying, Alexandria Anderson.” he says.

   I sigh and sit down on the edge of the bed next to my luggage, looking down at the floor.

   “Why did you cry?” he asks.

   I shake my head and after trying to hold my tears back, I just wrap my arms around his waist and start to cry. After a while, I feel him wrap his arms around me and he rubs my back soothingly. We just stay like that for a couple minutes, until I run out of tears to shed.

   “Andy, I am sorry about yesterday.” I say, pulling away and wiping my cheek.

   “It’s okay, don’t worry about it.” he reassures me with a small smile, before taking a seat across from me. “What happened though, I just left so you two could talk but next thing I know is that you were crying already, what did you two talk about?”

   “He wants to know why I am avoiding him and I told him that I was just tired.” I reply.

   “Which I assume is just an excuse, isn’t it?” he raises his eyebrows.

   I nod without hesitation – lying to Andy is useless, just like a couple minutes ago; he knows me very well to know when I am lying and when I am not.

   “Truth is,” I stop for a second to take a deep breath. “I already fell for him and the reason why I am avoiding him is because I don’t wanna get hurt.”

   “What do you mean you don’t wanna to get hurt?” he asks.

   I smile a little, “I just don’t wanna get hurt knowing that he doesn’t feel the same way about me, that he will never feel the same way, knowing that the reason why I fell for him is just how he really is, that I shouldn’t really give his actions any meaning since that’s how he treats everyone.”

   “Why don’t you just tell him the truth?” he says.

   “As if it’s that easy, I don’t want him to find out – well.. yet cause I don’t want things to change between us.” I reply.

   “Who knows, it might change for the better.” he shrugs, smiling a little.

   “I doubt that.” I say, as I stand up from the bed and continue packing my stuffs.

   “Hold on, why are you packing your stuffs, where are you going?” he asks.

   “I am leaving for Somerset tonight, another reason why I cried is because Nana had a stroke yesterday and she’s currently at the hospital.” I reply without looking at him.

   “Oh, my God.” he mutters. “How is she right now?”

   “I don’t know to be honest, she had her operation yesterday but I haven’t heard from Mom yet.” I say.

   He didn’t say anything and I could feel his eyes on me, so I stop what I was doing and look over at him.

   “Don’t look at me like that, you’re going to make me cry.” I say with a light chuckle.

   “Why didn’t you call me yesterday?” he asks, furrowing his eyebrows as he looks at me worriedly.

   “You have a show and.. I am too ashamed to call you after what I did to you.” I reply.

   He breathes out and ruffles my hair, “Silly you, I don’t care about what you did. Remember what I always say to you – when you need me, I promise to be there even if we aren’t okay.”

   “I know, I am sorry, Andy.” I say, he smiles at me and pulls me in a quick hug.

   “So, when are you going to come back?” he asks and I just shrug. “You’re going to come back, right?”

   I nod, “I just don’t know when.”

   “Well, I hope Nana recovers right away.” he says, putting his hand on top of mine.

   “I hope so too.” I reply.

   He squeezes my hand and lets me continue what I was doing whilst he texts someone, probably one of the boys.

   “By the way,” I say and he looks up from his phone. “can we go out before your show later?”

   “Yeah, of course.” he replies.

   I nod again and put the last clothing into the luggage, before zipping it close. As if on cue, a text comes in. I quickly reach for my phone, which is on the bedside table, and read the message.

fr: Mom
      — Nana’s okay already, she’s at the ICU though.

   I breathe out in relief upon reading the message, I am still scared but I am happy to know that the operation went well. I text my Mom back, before looking at Andy – who looks at me expectantly.

   “Nana’s okay already.” I say to him with a smile.

   “Really?” a smile tugs at the corners of his lips. “I am happy to hear that.”

   I nod, “She’s at the ICU though, but what’s important is that she’s okay right?”

   “Yeah, definitely.” he replies.

   I smile and continue to pack my stuffs, like electronics, journals, and a few books to keep me company whilst I am at the hospital.