ASSUMPTION

Alexandria Anderson

   I feel a light tug from the hem of my sweater and when I look down; a boy around five years old – who looks like he’s about to cry – looks up at me. So, I immediately hunker down to talk to him.

   “What’s the matter, love?” I ask him.

   “I – I can’t find my parents.” he speaks in between sobs.

   He looks down and I see that tears start to stream down his cheeks. I wrap my arms around him and slowly rub his back, whilst he wraps his arms around my neck. As I comfort him, I look up at Rye and Brooklyn and the two of them look at the little boy in concern.

   “Shh, don’t cry, we’ll help you look for them okay?” I say to him, as I pull away and smile at him reassuringly.

   He just nods and didn’t say anything, wiping his cheeks as he struggles to catch his breath. Brooklyn excuses himself to buy the kid a bottle of water, whilst Rye hunkers down next to where I am and comfort him. We wait for Brooklyn to come back and we make sure that the kid’s already calm, before the four of us start to look for his parents.

   “What’s your name?” I ask the little boy, as we walk.

   He replies in a very quiet voice, making it hard for me to hear it. So, I lean down a little and ask him again.

  “Grayson.” he utters, his voice still quiet.

   I nod, “I am Alexa, this is Ryan,” I say, as I point towards him, then I point towards Brooklyn. “and this is Brooklyn.”

   “Hi.” Rye says, smiling at him warmly.

   Grayson didn’t say anything, he just looks away from Rye; making me giggle. He looks over at me with a straight face, so I stop myself from giggling and smile at him a little. He pouts for a couple seconds, smiles and turns back to Grayson.

   “So, how old are you?” he asks.

   Just like before, he didn’t say anything; he just lifts his four fingers up before looking away again. Afterwards, the four of us start to look for his parents.

   “Alexa.” Brooklyn says, as the two of us walk.

   “Brooklyn.” I chuckle, mimicking the tone of his voice.

   He laughs before speaking up again, “I just want to know, do you have any siblings?”

  I shake my head and smile a little as I look at Grayson, I wish I have.

  “Oh, but you seem to be very fond of kids.” he says.

   “Yeah, I don’t know,” I reply, shrugging, “being around kids makes me happy.”

  He turns to me and smiles, “I think you and Rye would make a cute couple since the two of you are fond of kids.”

  “What?” I ask with a chuckle, looking at him like he’s being ridiculous or something.

   He laughs, “I bet you two are going to be great parents.” he adds, making it more awkward than it already is.

   I look back at Grayson and Rye, who’s currently holding Grayson’s hand as they walk which makes me smile. As the minutes go by, Grayson starts to feel comfortable around him. We ask him details that could help us find his parents, like where did he last saw them, what they look like, and what they are wearing.

   “You want to play?” I hear Rye asks the little boy.

   Grayson nods, so we stop by a small booth where you have to hit the stack of cans to get a reward; commonly stuffed toys. Rye pays the man behind the counter and the man hands them a small basket with balls.