IX : Empty Schools are Scary

Even an empty school library was scary. Sitting in the dark room with nothing but the light your phone emitted made you feel like a protagonist from some horror movie. But in your case, you weren't going to die like those dumb girls in slasher movies.

It seemed like forever since the librarian left you with a small 'good luck'. Any time now, Haise should be texting you the green light.

...unless the ghoul knew what was going on and wasn't going to show up. What a real bummer that would be.

In the corner of your eyes, you spotted movement. Scared, you jumped up from your seat at the table and checked around. The figure seemed to come from outside the library... But you weren't going to follow it until Haise told you, that's for sure. You needed your command from higher ups.

It appears standing did the job, however. A small girl appeared a few feet away from the glass door separating the two of you. No one was supposed to be here right now, especially not a child like her. Frowning, you carefully made your way to the door.

As soon as your hand touched the handle, your phone emitted a small noise signaling you that Haise sent a message. You briefly checked it and deemed it the signal before opening the library door. "Hey!" You called out to her, hoping she wasn't a danger to you or others.

The girl turned around with a fearful expression before exclaiming loudly and bowing apologetically. "I'm sorry! I forgot my math binder! I know I'm not supposed to be here, I'll leave!" You checked her form and assumed she was telling the truth, since she carried a large, red binder in her arms that was packed to the brim with a large text book and exercise sheets. She ran away, but not before tripping on her own two feet and nearly face planting to the ground.

Huh, she looked younger than she is, to be in high school already.

You shook your head, attempting to go back on track. Remembering Haise's text, you took your phone back out to fully read the message he had sent.

'Target's in. Go.'

Here's the dangerous part of the plan. You were supposed to walk around the halls for a while and attempt to guide the ghoul to an open space, aka the cafeteria, where the battle would go down between you and him until the Suzuya squad and the Quinx Squad came to back you up/get you out of there.

You had a few training sessions with Haise before school started and one or two after but you hoped that minimal training would still manage to keep you alive for as long as it would take for the Suzuya squad to take over. At least your weapon was sort of in a middle range. It would be a great relief if your kagune could manifest sometime soon.

You decided to start with the hallway you came through, making sure not to look around too much. If you spotted the ghoul right now--which would be stalking you like a prey at the moment--, you'd loose the calm and collected expression you managed to put on your face. Thank goodness you had a good control of your emotions sometimes.

As you paced through the hallways, your ears picked up footsteps that surely weren't yours. They were lighter, a bit faster and they seemed to be coming in your direction, to be exact.

Heartbeat racing, you glanced around for a spot to hide in. The classes were all locked, the only place that would still be open in this hallway would be that student services place thing they informed you about, which was only a few steps away from you at the moment. You quickly lunged at the door, pushing it open and closing it shut behind you. You hid behind the wooden barrier and peered through the small window, careful to make sure your breath wouldn't fog it up.

As the footsteps became louder, so did your heartbeat. At this point, you were sure the ghoul could hear it.

A shadow appeared in the small frame, followed by a figure that was almost unrecognizable due to the dim lighting in this school hallway. However, you could, if you tried really hard, identify purple-ish hair on the person's head. As they approached the door, you noticed the black gloves on their hands and the earbuds in their ears. It wasn't the ghoul, that's for sure. But he wasn't supposed to be here either.

Seeing as Kuki was no (big) threat to you, you pushed the door you were hiding behind open and walked into the hallway with a confused frown, apparently startling the squad leader. His reflexes took over and before you knew it, you were aggressively pinned to the wall by none other than him. With his face inches away from yours. What was he expecting to do if you were indeed a ghoul? Make out with it? This boy truly had issues.

"Get off, I'm not going to kill --or fuck-- you." You managed to say despite having the air knocked out of you. "You're not supposed to be in here, Haise'll have your head!"

Urie didn't answer neither of your comments. He instead simply let you go and took a few steps backwards to give you back your personal bubble.

Haise must be freaking out right now. Actually, the whole squad should be loosing their shit over this, considering their squad leader just vanished. "Why did you come in here anyway? To get more credit? More recognition? Because I wouldn't have gotten anything in the first place if that's what you're worrying about."

Once again, Urie didn't answer you and decided to start walking again, in the direction he was heading in the first place. You huffed at his antics and took out your phone. "I'm gonna tell Haise you're with m-"

Kuki was back at your side in record time, holding your left wrist firmly, aka the one your phone was in. You could read somekind of emotion in his eyes, but you didn't know what exactly. It sort of looked like nervousness.

"To hell with Sasaki." He muttered out, his grip on your wrist loosening. There were two outcomes Urie expected out of you. Either you'd contact Haise anyway or you'll listen to him and let him tag along. He just hoped you'd chose the right option.

"I don't condone shit-talking him like that behind his back when he pulled us out of a bad place, but... Yeah, come along. Maybe there'll be more hope for my survival this way."

"(Thank you.) Let's go." The male finally let go of your wrist and turned his back to you again, sure that you'd follow closely behind him.

And you did, obviously.