Chapter 16: From Matriarch to Matriarch

To a man known throughout the prominence of his life as 'The Most Unpredictable Knuckleheaded Ninja,' to be caught completely off kilter was a slight embarrassment. Although that was in fact the truth of the matter. As presumption Naruto had looked to Madara as a man of much stoicism and refinement, he had taken this as mere fact. Having been made keenly aware of his late kin on more then one occasion and witnessing similarity. Indeed, even those whom he categorized as friendships such as Naori were rather far removed from emotional turmoil or romancing. That was of course disregarding that the warrior as a woman of privacy and likely all displayed had been made for Kou to witness and none other.

Thus, the matter of shock: Madara had taken him to a lake removed from the village. Accompanied by weapons and a heavy worn cloth made under the preconception that all area's held an enemy. Regardless of his rigid dress and occasional darting eyesight, his company appeared calm. Though not relaxed, he was tense the farther the village was. Naruto could not decide if this was because of possible ambush, or that with him gone Madara felt as if his clan was in a weak position against invasion. Though he found himself leaning into personal space a little more then he ought, the tan hand remained a fixed underneath his haori, instead of straying as craving demanded to the unballed fist at Madara's side.

Should there be an attacker it would not be a slow affair, there would likely be blood spilled before his eyes could track movement. Perhaps his own feeling of false serenity was due to whom he walked beside. A man of experience -this was not limiting his own ability, however, it was very clear just who would hold the upper hand in a confrontation. His previous life had been one of peace and awoken violence, this life now was a place of continual paranoia and bloodshed.

Question came to him as they neared a half-way point. If indeed, his companion was experiencing so much anxiety here, why take him so far from comfort? As he rose his eyes to ask he took into account the vacant stare prolonged unto the lake and its horizon. "Madara-sama, why bring me here?" His mouth had spoken for him, but it was so soft in comparison with his normal demeanor, to have a man with such regularly calm persona, now starting with saddened gaze at something intransigent made him clench at his pained stomach.

He received a smile in turn, though the emotion within was difficult to understand, not fake, no Naruto knew that at least. A cold hand pressed to his cheek, and unthinkingly he clasped it with his own. Confused now as he was delivered a gentle kiss to his lips, though he had no time to respond before Madara pulled away, turning now to look at the lake full in his height.

Uchiha pulled himself back and began walking to the shore, uncertain Naruto followed hands now twinning in thick blue haori. He stopped sudden aware that that his eyes were watching a large, very refined, dignified, patriarch of a powerful clan wade into crisp cut water. Nothing protecting him from the cold of the lake, the sting of the water, nor the frostbite he would gain from this venture. Naruto held his tongue his want to reprimand the man for doing something so moronic, not even he in childhood glory would have been so foolish to pursue! Making matters worse, and the bite in his tongue bleed, Madara reached into the water, grappling for something only he knew to be there.

The reasoning behind this trip, Naruto hoped the peradventure had been worth the hassle he would later receive. A scathing comment was burning upon him now, but cooled on taking into account the happy smile settling onto Madara's face, one of ease and relief, despite the method, Naruto dared not speak his piece. What had made the man risk his health so?: a box, scattered with so many seals Naruto could hardly separate each with eyesight alone.

When his fiance returned to his side, casting a cold mist about himself, and dripping from hands to feet, only his chest and up remained free from water. Which relieved Naruto as that could cause quick pneumonia. He met the man's gaze, curious by not impressed, he seemed to know this, for lue of speaking Madara handed off the box, with a dusting of pink on his face. Though he took it, there were greater concerns on his mind as he stared at the soaking clothed alpha before him. Shaking himself from all forms of decorum having been drilled into place by a well-meaning Kou, he grasped the front of the Uchiha robe and pulled the man to himself. Knowing well that his heat would keep the man there, and further protest; in form of self-removal, was met with a tug on the man's long hair. "Don't you dare."