Prince Charming, Dethroned

Arabella turns to admire her reflection in the ballroom window once more

She is almost stunned that the beautiful young woman gazing at her is no stranger. Ari spends most of her days in modest blouses and knee-length pencil skirts, attire befitting one of the firm's top accountants.

Tonight, she looks like a Disney princess. Her reflection is so perfect, it's almost untouchable.

As soon as she puts on the onyx and diamond masque, everything changes. Suddenly, touchable is the one thing she aims to be.

Unfortunately, she's been without that night's Prince Charming for over an hour.

She turns to run from the building when a hand grasps her arm lightly. The chill behind her comes from nowhere, but the shudder that moves through her body causes goosebumps.

"Ego autem absit" The sound of a male voice growls at her, the grip on her arm tightening.

"Excuse me?" Ari stutters a bit, almost dropping her champagne glass.

"I believe you understood what I said, Arabella. Do not turn around." She wonders how he anticipated her half-movement.

"Simply walk. You may trust me to guide you."

Ari looks as if she is leading the way, but she merely follows into a small room. It is candle-lit romance, for the occasion.

Her blood runs cold as the heavy door clicks. "May I turn to look now?"

"I do not know, Arabella. Has the privilege been earned?" His hand caresses the lightly tanned skin, creating an acute awareness of the too-exposed skin.

"Who are you and what are you talking about? This is a bit silly." She moves to pull away, but her legs are firmly rooted as if she were a tree.

"Ego autem absit. It means 'I forbid you.' When will you learn obedience, Arabella?"

Ari's legs quiver. "Never. I answer to no one but myself now. Things have changed."

The man behind her lets out a malicious laugh as his hands continue to explore her curves and angles .

"Yet the lady doth not protest too much. I am not the one you wish to convince here."

She stands in silence, trembling as the hands move around her neck. Fear is arousing.

"You'll remember this. You left it behind. That was utterly careless." 

The hands clasp a choker of onyx and diamonds around her neck.  "Do you regret the things you leave behind, Arabella?"

A hand flies up to the beautiful jewels. They are simply an ornament, yet meaning so much more.

"Sometimes, yes. The world can be a  lonely place."

Arabella can feel the smile on the man's face as his body presses close to hers. For a moment, they are a single entity.

Her hand is weightless as it lifts up without protest. A ring slides on to her finger, glittering and familiar.

"You chose loneliness and solitude. Choose again."

Arabella feels her body and her heart all struggling to say yes, but she says nothing

The tone softens.

"I know why you left, Ari. It is never easy being the boss---or his wife. It's time to come home."

Author's Note: This story was composed for the Romance #HalloweenVault challenge

Author's Note: This story was composed for the Romance #HalloweenVault challenge. (Prompt #24) It would have gotten a lot better with 1,000 words instead of 500. :P  Regardless, it ended up being the overall winner and is listed over here! :D  https://www.wattpad.com/660832841-halloween-vault-final-announcement

Word count: 500 words exactly!