Assignment Three: An Unlikely Duo

A/N: This story is not 1000 words

A/N: This story is not 1000 words. Not even close. Sorry. :( It's still possibly worth reading. ;)

Eleni is not cold, tired, or hungry when the storm clouds roll over the village, but she notices that everyone else in and around the marketplace seems to be. The dark skies invited her to venture outdoors before nightfall, and even though the sun is obscured by an approaching storm, Eleni carries a black parasol to shield herself.  She longs for the comfort of the black sunglasses that obscure her eyes most days, but in this world, they make her as foreign as when she arrived that first night.

Little trouble has befallen Eleni since her arrival a day or three ago, and Eleni has brought little trouble to the village. The innkeeper at the place she calls home reportedly had a breakdown after having disturbing visions in the night, but that certainly isn't Eleni's fault. After all, the innkeeper is still alive. Most in the village agree, too many long nights and a mind approaching sixty years of age typically cause such afflictions.

The new innkeeper appeals to Eleni far less, a severe-looking woman of about twenty who is already exhausted by children and poverty. The new girl is the old innkeeper's daughter, which is perhaps what makes her undesirable. Eleni gives her a smile in passing every night and says little.

She has no idea how long she will be in this village, why she was sent, or where the treasure is hiding. There's certainly no indication her roses are here, nor any other luxury. Still, Eleni loves to shop and she desires a memento of her adventure. The food and weapons hold no appeal. The jewels, forged in simplicity and of the most basic quality, call to her. The storm isn't a reason to stop shopping. Eleni admires a bracelet forged with gold and a sparkly stone she suspects to be amethyst.

A little old lady appears by Eleni's side, too close for comfort. "Hello." She greets Eleni as if they should know one another. "Can I help you?"

Eleni shakes her head, feeling slightly bewildered. She can't help but smile at the old woman, who has an air of refinement and evokes memories of a different time. Being near the woman reminds Eleni of a home lost long ago, although this lady speaks with a clear and unmistakable British dialect.

"I'm sorry. Have I done something wrong? I was interested in buying this bracelet. I assumed no one would mind if I tried it on." Eleni widens her eyes, panicked for a moment that yet another moment of cultural confusion is about to occur. The last thing she needs is to be branded a thief in a medieval village.

"No, dear. Haven't you noticed everyone scrambling? The storms here are long and violent. A lady simply cannot be caught alone in a storm. It will be the death of you--- and over a bracelet no less. Silly little thing." The elderly woman clucks at Eleni in reproach, but the woman's eyes are alight with interest as she dips a small curtsy. "I'm Avise Renshaw, dear. That parasol won't be nearly enough to shield you from the storm. Let me invite you to my home for dinner. I pride myself on knowing everyone in town. You, I'd remember meeting you, so that must mean I haven't."

Eleni's lips turn upward into an amused smile as Avise curtsies, but she offers a slight bow of her head in response. The first merchant she met thought she was a prostitute. With nothing but a bartered gown, uncomfortable slippers fashionable as actual shoes, and the collection of jewels she sports, Eleni can tell Avise now mistakes her for a grand lady.