Chapter 12

A bell rang three times. Sparks flew behind my eyes, and I jolted up from the depths of sleep. Ugh. What the hell?

"Good morning everyone." Was that the dean's voice? I rubbed my eyes. The sound seemed to be coming from a speaker on the ceiling. "Welcome to the first day of PACK assessments. It's six-thirty and students are expected to meet outside the Great Hall in forty five minutes."

Flopping back on my pillow I sighed heavily, covering my head with the duvet. Are you kidding me? I'm. So. Tired.

"Our orientation team left boxes outside your doors last night, with essential items to take you through the next few days. A selection of comfortable clothing has been chosen for you based on feedback from your parents." The dean's voice rang clear and calm through the speakers. I stared at the ceiling and wondered if she ever did anything for fun, besides ruining other people's sleep.

"Students should wear Mendel-issued clothing until trials are done. We've also provided a wristband to monitor your vitals. Wristbands must be worn at all times to calibrate faculty assessments. And finally, each student has been issued a journal to document your PACK experiences and log any questions for your mentors."

My first question's definitely gonna be, 'WHO thought a six-thirty communal wake-up call was a good idea!?'.

"We look forward to seeing you at seven fifteen, sharp — and remember, today represents the first step towards your destiny."

Is she done? I think she's done. Groaning, I rolled my eyes and swung my legs over the side of the bed. Peeling off my pyjamas and tossing them at the laundry basket, I trudged toward the bathroom, grateful I didn't have to share it with anyone.

The dorm rooms at Mendel were well-appointed, like hanging out at a nice hotel filled with personal effects for a year. Dove grey paint, crown moulding and dark wood provided a tasteful backdrop for my small collection of favorite things.

I ran my hand lightly over a set of picture frames arranged on the bookcase next to the bathroom door. Each photo captured a treasured glimpse of my past  — a group selfie of me and my friends on my sixteenth birthday, a family shot outside Cinderella's castle on our last trip to Disney, a close-up of my grandma reading to me when I was small. If memories were like puzzle pieces, I wondered how my past would fit with the strange future I was about to create at Mendel. Sighing, I grabbed a towel from the closet and went to take a hot shower.

Closing my eyes as water streamed warm against my skin, I thought back to the conversation I'd had with Mom and Dad the night before. They'd called to feed me a well-meaning pep talk, but my stomach was a buzzing hive of nerves and I couldn't bring myself to confess my fears. What if I didn't really belong here, after all? What if I somehow failed Meta — would they be disappointed in me? What if the experience was so transformative that I didn't recognize myself when it was done?

Ashamed to expose my concerns, I littered our discussion with non-committal responses, said 'I love you' and went to bed. Now that morning was here I wished I'd confided in them. Words of comfort would have been better company than my pride.

Turning off the water, I towelled off quickly, shrugged on my bathrobe and padded over to the door to investigate the PACK box outside.

"Hey Mare," Gracie was standing by her door across the hall, wearing a soft pink robe and fuzzy panda slippers, a large white box in her arms.

"Morning, friend. Early enough for ya? P.s., nice slippers."

"Oh my god. Dean Hawthorne's wake up call scared the freaking bejesus out of me. They don't use the sound system much during the school year, thank god. Someone's obviously eager for us to get our Meta on. And p.s., thanks for the compliment."

A white box with my name written in black script across the top sat on the floor by my door. "Well, I'm going to go check this baby out. Want to walk down to the Great Hall together when we're ready?"

"You betcha. I'll text Opal to see if she wants us to pick her up. See you in a bit."

Pulling the door closed behind me, I placed the box on the floor and lifted the lid. A layer of crepe paper floated on top of the contents, and an envelope lay against its smooth surface. My fingers snatched it up and ripped it open, revealing a small card with Mendel's crest embossed in gold on its cover.

The note inside was written in immaculate handwritten script.

Marin, we missed meeting one another at orientation. I worked closely with your father years ago and wanted to reach out to say how pleased I am to have you join Mendel's ranks. I hope you enjoy all that PACK week has to offer and look forward to making your acquaintance soon.

Best wishes,
Erica Hawthorne

My eyebrows raised in surprise. Erica Hawthorne? As in Dean Hawthorne? I hadn't noticed her talking with my parents at orientation, but I'd also ditched the meet and greet early to go exploring. And by the time I came back to the Great Hall with Opal in tow, half the room had emptied out. I'd have to ask Dad about the dean another time.

Lifting the white crepe from the box revealed a neatly stacked array of tank tops, leggings and soft yoga sweaters. Shrugging, I pulled out a tank top with Mendel's crest embroidered on the breast, and a pair of heather grey leggings. Under the clothes lay a moleskine journal and a sleek black wristband. Pulling the band on, snug against my skin, the screen blinked twice and the words Hello Marin appeared in glowing white letters.

Well, hello to you, too. I had to give the orientation team credit for their attention to detail. Pushing myself up from the floor, I dragged a brush through my hair, applied some mascara, placed the journal on my desk and put away my clothes. My pulse thrummed in my temples and pent up energy burned in my veins. Pacing the room, I jumped at the sound of a knock on my door.

"Ready to go?" Gracie's blue eyes were wide and a nervous smile skidded across her lips.

"I hope so." Closing the door behind me, I took a deep breath and stepped into the hallway. 

I wonder what Marin will discover at the Great Hall? If you enjoyed the chapter please consider commenting and voting!  Thanks for reading!!