Chapter 11

Opal fiddled with her tangerine rind, breaking it up into little pieces and dropping the small pulpy clumps on her plate. Pursing her lips, she exhaled slowly through her nose, her shoulders slumping a little. "So, I know Noura's being a jerk and that's not ok -- you didn't do anything to deserve her crap."

Under the table my hands balled into fists, fingernails biting at my palms. "I guess I just don't understand why you and Gracie are so close with her. She's kind of awful, Opal. I mean, I'd never talk to anyone that way, especially not someone I've just met."

Looking out the massive window, sunlight warming her cheeks, Opal's expression was hard to read. "Look, Marin, last year was ... kind of tough... and Noura's been through a lot. We all have, in our own way. It's not that Mendel's a bad place -- it's not -- it's just that the experience is different for everyone. Like the Dean said at orientation, we're here to live up to our potential and for some kids, that creates a lot of pressure."

"So, her mom's tough on her?"

"Noura's relationship with her mom is ... complicated. They love each other, but Noura's dad passed away a few years ago, she's an only child, and Mrs. Hassan focuses a ton of energy on making sure Noura strives to succeed."

Around us the Great Hall buzzed as kids milled in and out of the room, friends laughed and chatted at their tables, and the occasional clatter sounded from bustling food stalls near the kitchen. My chest tightened as I looked around, surrounded by commotion, suddenly feeling alone.       

"I get it — that sucks for her, but plenty of people have strict parents and they don't wear a mean streak like it's tattooed on their body. Maybe I should just stay away from her from now on." I tore a thick piece of bread in two and slathered it with butter, more for something to do than anything else. I wasn't really hungry anymore.

Opal sighed. "I don't blame you for not wanting to give her a chance, but she's not usually like this. I mean, she's not as outgoing as Gracie, but who is?"

A small smile crept onto my face at the mention of Gracie's name, an image of her stupid fake teeth lighting up the movie screen in my mind.

"Gracie and I hit it off our first day at Mendel and a couple of weeks into school we got to know Noura and Katie. They were fast friends, like us, and we started hanging out. Katie's parents and Noura's mom had a lot in common — being intense about their kids' progress here and all — so the girls really understood each other."

My eyebrows furrowed as I tried to remember whether I'd heard of Katie before. I flipped through my recent memories but came up empty. "Is Katie here? I don't think I've met her, have I?"

"No, you haven't. Her parents decided not to send her back at the end of last year." Opal's voice trailed off and she poked at the remnants of her rind with the tip of her fork.

I did a double take. "But I thought you said they were super intent on her success. Why would they pull her out?"

"I guess they realized some things are more important than being successful," Opal shrugged. "Look, Katie started acting up halfway through the school year. At first it was just skipping some classes, stupid stuff like that, you know? But then she was staying up late all the time, looking really tired. Last spring Noura caught her cutting herself in her room. More than once, actually."

I felt my eyebrows shoot up toward my hairline. "Wow."

"Yeah. We knew she was stressed but her actions were out of our league and we weren't sure what to do. In the end, Noura ended up telling Dean Hawthorne. It wasn't an easy decision and Katie was really mad, but she needed help."

I held my breath for a minute, not sure what to say.

"Apparently she's doing much better now, but it's safe to say Katie won't be back this year."

"So Noura thinks I'm replacing her in your friendship or something? Is that why she's lashing out at me?" My jaw clenched as I pictured Noura's narrowed eyes, her lips set in a frown, her dark hair streaming behind her as she stormed out of the Great Hall.

"Moth, it's not about you. It's about her. I'll talk to Noura. In the meantime, Gracie and I like hanging out with you, so don't give up on us, ok?" Sticking up her baby finger, Opal coaxed me to accept a pinky swear. "C'mon, we've been friends since we were two, remember? You'd be a real jerk to end things now!" Sticking out her tongue, she crossed her eyes.

Hooking my pinky around hers, I shook my head and laughed out loud. "How can I say no a face like that?"

"Attagirl! Now let's grab some dessert before we head back to Watson. Meta starts tomorrow morning so there'll be a curfew tonight and there's a piece of chocolate caramel cheesecake here with my name on it."

Mm. I did have a thing for cheesecake. "Ok, Opes. You've got a deal." Climbing out of my seat, I followed her long braid as she wove through the tables to grab a sweet treat.

***

In bed that night, I hugged my sides as I stared up at the glow-in-the-dark stars the last inhabitant of my room had left stuck on my ceiling. If I squinted hard enough, I could pretend the ceiling away and imagine myself somewhere else. But where would I go? And what would I do? I wasn't sure what path to choose anymore.

Closing my eyes, I tried to breath deep. Going to bed on Meta's eve was like straddling two worlds, falling asleep in one chapter and waking up to a fresh page.  

What do you think about Marin's conversation with Opal? Are you curious about what Meta has in store? Thanks for reading! Please consider sharing your thoughts or vote if you enjoyed this chapter!