"So you were saying they had all spoken to or looked into this adoption agency?" I nodded my head, "the owner was very cooperative and stated it had merely been a coincidence that his staff spoke with both of the women and that no further adoption proceedings took place from the initial consultation, but something just doesn't feel right to me. The vibe that I got from him was off." I placed my elbow onto the table and rested my chin in my palm.

"Well I'm sure that if there's something fishy going on, you'll find it. You always do," Damon grabbed my free hand and smiled. I raised an eyebrow, "I'm still not paying for your drink." Damon gasped as he let go of my hand and sat back against the cushion rested his right hand over his chest, "I am appalled that you think I would encourage you for my own selfish reasons." I crossed my arms on the table and leaned forward, "I'm appalled that you don't think I know your game. Do I look like one of your little boyfriends?"

"Hold it right there, sweetheart. There isn't anything little about my men. They don't call me the big dick connoisseur for no reason." I burst out laughing, "who calls you that? You just made that up two seconds ago." Damon shrugged, "well if they don't they should!" Dawn returned to the table with our drinks, sitting them down in front of us, "are you guys ready to order your entrees?" I shook my head, "I'm going to stick with the appetizers."

"Same here," Damon informed. Dawn nodded, "no problem. The appetizers will be out shortly." She gathered the menus and walked off. "So," I took a sip of my drink and placed it down on the coaster, "whats been new with you?" Damon stared into his glass, twirling his straw around the rim, "my father called me today."

Damon and his father, Frank, haven't spoken since Damon revealed his sexual orientation. As a deacon of the church, Frank has always been religious in his beliefs and vocal about his thoughts on 'the gays', as he liked to call them. Finding Damon's attraction and desire to be with a man to be an abomination, Frank provided him with an ultimatum that left Damon to finish out the rest of the school year in my parent's household. Damon's mother, Denise, was distraught by the ordeal, but for some reason, she wouldn't go against her husband's demand of severing ties with their son.

"How did that go?" I asked. Damon rolled his eyes and shook his head, "so fucking awkward. Most of the conversation was silence. It's crazy because you know how close him and I were before I told him that I was gay and now it's like he doesn't even know how to hold a conversation with me. Do you know he had the nerve to ask why do I have to be so gay? I asked what he meant by that and he said, 'you have fingernails and wear makeup like you're a woman. Why can't you just be a decent human being in public and do what you do behind closed doors?'"

My eyes grew wide as my mouth went ajar, "he said that to you?" Damon nodded and chuckled dryly, "I'm not even mad, Nyla. He hasn't been a father in eight years. Another eight years can't hurt anything." I bore into his dark brown orbs, the hint of sadness refuting his claims, "it's a step in the right direction though, right? I mean, he hasn't reached out to you in years." Damon frowned, "I don't give a damn about what direction it is. I don't respect him anymore. He doesn't have to agree with how I choose to live my life but I could've sworn his bible said to love people for who they are and judge not."

"I'll always love you for who you are. You big dick connoisseur, you." Smoothing the wrinkles on the bridge of his nose and relaxing his eyebrows, the corners of Damon's mouth turned upwards, "ain't no telling where I'd be if I didn't have you."

•••

Friday
September 13th
9:57 AM