Chapter Eight: Spiders

Start from the beginning

Seconds later, he took a small swing, the effortless move splashing blood onto the road with cringing force.

As quick as it had begun, it had ended.

I stood up straight, my spine clicking into a more natural position as silence dropped around us like a sudden change in temperature. The air was thin, the silence blissful as Jesse swiped his long blade, creature blood thick and sticky as he shook it off of his fingers.

"Well that went well" Jaxon broke the silence first, a smile appearing on his features as he looked from me to Arden

Arden's steady gaze turned on me. His breathing was rigid, his hands and knuckles painted in creature blood as he mulled over what his first words were going to be.

Slowly, the brothers all awaited Arden's reaction. I guess we were either waiting for him to scold how dangerous my idea had been, or praise how well a job we had done as a well-organized team. Seconds later, the decision was made.

"Props to you, Arrow" Arden spoke, the corner of his lips lifting ever so slightly "Guess you've earnt your place" He nodded as the others all seemed to take a sigh of relief. Austin, Jarod, Coby and the others now stepping out of hiding around us

"That was intense" Keira spoke, her petite approving voice now beside me

"That was sick" Ronan laughed as he and Jaxon high fived each other, a glint of their immature side peeking through their tough façade.

"Let's keep moving" Arden quickly snapped himself back into place as 'leader' "We need to make it somewhere safe within a few hours before the sun sets" He continued as he moved forward, brushing over his skin with a dirty rag attached to his belt.

Without question, we moved forward, Keira and Coby whispering conversation as they gave the dead creatures a quick study up close. Austin and Jarod were also fast to curiously poke at their burning flesh which now began to bubble under the sun's unforgivable heat. I rolled my eyes and walked hastily through the morbid sight - seeing the creatures up as close only brought back unwanted memories.

Hurriedly, the sun decided to fasten its pace on bed-time. We had been walking for about another two hours, sweating our asses off, before we realized just how close it was until the light would be gone entirely. As expected, there were no houses, no barns, and no structural support for hiding in sight. We had passed nothing but empty paddocks full of overgrown crops and grass. It was starting to worry a lot of people as whispers grew more intense, more concerned we'd be abandoned in the wide open fields as free-range chickens served on a platter. There had been no suspicions of any creatures since the attack under treetop shadows, which made it more calm, but come nightfall, anything could happen, we'd be fair game to any sort of passer byers.

"We're going to be trapped, there isn't anything for miles" I could hear Austin speak towards Zack, Kyle and his brother. I was beginning to lose my patience for Austin, he was a trouble maker, and kind of a whinger, there was no place for people like him in the world now.

"If you're afraid, you can always turn back and find the others?" Jaxon impatiently snapped towards Austin who thought he was being discreet with his whining.

"I'm beginning to think maybe I should have trusted ye old Saint Nick back there" Austin snapped back, determined to start a fight as Jaxon rolled his eyes

This time, it was Jesse who grew impatient as he turned his head back slightly "Like Jaxon said, if you want to turn back, then go ahead, if not, then I suggest you shut your trap and keep moving like the rest of us"
His words were rough, menacing, and something about his attitude made me think we'd finally agreed to something at the same time.