The Difference Between Being Chosen And Godhood is Creation and Destruction

Lucas

I open the door and let Ness and Ninten in, as they decided to give me company today while dad and Claus are out.

"So, what's there to do here? I've never been to your house." Ninten asks.

"I have a TV, and a Nintendo 64 with the best game in the world on it."

"Don't worry," Ness says, opening his bag and pulling out a few game cartridges and a controller. "I came prepared."

"Cool." Ninten says, looking around. "It's nice. It's not too cramped, so congratulations on that, this house isn't very big."

We all sit on the couch, and Ness puts Mario Kart into the 64. We spend a long while playing it.

-

Ninten pauses the match and yawns.

"I barely got any sleep last night, you mind if I take a nap somewhere?" He asks me. I shake my head.

"No, go ahead. You can sleep on the couch if you want." I tell him. He nods.

"You know what, it is a really comfy couch." He says, patting it. Ness and I stand up so he can lie down. "Thanks, guys."

He grabs a cushion and uses it as a pillow.

"It's alright, dude." Ness says, smiling.

"Mm, it's fine." I say, turning off the light. I silently lead Ness back into my room and we sit on my bed.

"What do you want to do?" I ask Ness. He shrugs.

"Board Games?" He asks. I nod. I reach under my bed and pull out a couple board games. He takes Capitalism III and unpacks it. I help him set everything up and, since we both know the rules, begin playing pretty much instantly.

Around halfway through the game, I pick up a strange card.

Dad.

That's all it says.

"Uh, Ness?" I ask, showing him the card. He frowns.

"That's... Weird." He says, cocking his head slightly. I hear a very loud bang from the kitchen and we both rush there to see Ninten, sound asleep and a gun on the floor, but nobody else to be seen. There's a blood splatter across the far wall. I feel sick.

I turn to Ness, and he looks worried. I look at the floor and the carpet is different, and there's a table that wasn't there before. I touch it to make sure I'm not imagining it, and it's real.

"Are we dreaming?" Ness asks. Behind him, a card flitters around in some nonexistent wind. The roof cracks and a piece of ceiling falls in.

I try to form a shield around Ness and I, but my PSI isn't working anymore.

"N-Ness! My PSI!" I say worriedly. He grabs my hand and opens a window, jumping through it. I follow suit. We land back in the same room, but the walls are green and the roof is back to normal. There's a cigar in an ash tray, smoke drifting towards the ceiling. I blink and a newspaper appears in my hand.

"Man and Woman go missing..." I whisper, reading the headline. It burns away in my hands, and I turn to Ness. He has a phone in his hands.

"Dad? Dad? Dad...?" A young boy's voice comes through it.

"I'm sorry." Ness says, hanging up. He puts the phone down and I grab his forearm.

"Are you okay?" I ask him. He looks at me with sunken eyes.

"I'm tired," He says, collapsing onto me. "Please help."

The lights flicker and the room goes dark, leaving only a table underneath a low hanging light. Ness is at the table, sitting on a chair. He has a black eye.

I dash over to him and unlock the cuffs using a key that appeared in my hand. The lights turn on and Ninten is still asleep on the couch. Everything is normal.

Then, the ground begins shaking. The floorboards creak and crack, falling. I manage to catch Ness's arm before he falls into the pit. I pull him up, and the other half of the house is replaced by a room made of concrete. It's cold.

There's a briefcase on the floor, as well as a hat and a 50 cent coin. I pick up the coin and turn around to keep an eye on Ness, but he's gone. In his place is a payphone. It's raining, but I'm not getting wet.

I put the coin into the payphone and dial Ness's number. There's no answer.

I open the payphone door back into the living room. Ness is unconscious, the briefcase beside him. Ninten is still sound asleep. I open the briefcase and it's full of money. The money begins burning. Ness gasps and wakes up.

I help him up and carry him onto a chair. A deck of cards is laid out on the table. There's a single king of hearts sitting out of the deck, in the centre of the table.

The room catches fire and I begin crying. Everything is so scary and confusing. I hug Ness, who hugs me back. He picks me up and carries me to the corner of the room, where we sit down.

The fire creeps closer to us. I bury my face in Ness's shirt and cry. He runs the back of my hair.

"N-Ness, I'm afraid." I tell him. He nods.

"I am, too, Lucas... Don't worry."

"I want you to know... That if we die here, then-"

"We won't die, okay? I promise you we will not die." He says, glancing at the flames. They've avoided Ninten and are licking and creeping their way towards us. I close my eyes. I don't like fire.

"Ness, I... I love you. If this fire kills us, I just wanted to let you know that..." I say, biting my lip. I glance at the fire. It's spread to the roof. I begin fought from the smoke. Ness does, too.

"Lucas..." Ness says quietly, stroking my hair. A beam falls in, blocking Ness and I from going anywhere. The fire soon creeps down it from the roof.

I sit with my legs across Ness and I hug him again. He lifts my chin up and gives me a smile. I can't help but smile back, despite the situation.

"For... For whatever it's worth, Lucas..." Ness says, getting interrupted by his leg getting burnt. He begins coughing harder. "Ah, fuck. I... I love you, too."

The flaming beam of wood crumbles and falls on Ness, who tries his best to keep it up.

"I-I'm sorry." Ness struggles, kissing me on the cheek. I break into a coughing fit and Ness's hand gives way.

We close our eyes and brace for impact, but nothing happens.

"Guys?" Ninten asks from the couch. "What the heck are you two doing in the corner?"

I look around and rub my eyes. Ness bites his cheek. Everything is fine.

"I'm not quite sure." Ness says, chuckling. He lets me stand up before standing up himself and nodding to me. "But I definitely need a drink."

"Ninten?" I ask, earning myself a hum. "What did you dream about just then?"

"My dad." He says quickly.

"Hm." I say, taking a cup and filling it with water before handing it to Ness.

He blushes and smiles at me before holding my hand under the kitchen counter, out of Ninten's view.

I look down at Ness's leg. There's a burn slowly forming from the fire.

What happened today?