Unrequited Love

Lucas

"You know how I've been crushing on you hard?" I ask Ness, sitting next to him on his bed.

"Yeah?"

"Well, before I came to your house today, I realised that I stopped having a crush on you. After two whole years. I got here and then badump badump went my heart, and the crush came back." I tell him.

"Oh..."

"And it's weird, you know? No matter how many times I tell myself that you won't like me back, or tell myself that having this crush on you is just gonna suck for everyone, there's still that little part of me... The part that, even after two years, is still going strong. It's the part that says 'What if?'." I tell him. He stays silent and just nods.

"You can't blame me for having a crush on you, though. I mean, look at yourself. You're cute, you're fit, you're nice, and you're single. You're just an all around great person. And after moving here, you helped me through so much. You taught me how everything worked. I owe everything I have right now to you. Heck, if it wasn't for you, I would probably be depressed to the point where I just... Wouldn't leave my room for days at time."

He bites his cheek.

"I get that this is all weird for you because I have a crush on you and stuff, but you don't and stuff, but you don't have to process all this. In fact, there's no real reason for you to listen. I just needed to tell someone and, well, you're the only person, really."

He smiles weakly at me.

"Thanks for still being my friend, even though this is a thing. I hope you don't feel like you have to be my friend, because I know you do that sometimes. Don't be my friend if you don't want to. I don't really wanna make your life a chore..."

"... I like being your friend." Ness speaks quietly.

"Are you sure...?"

"Yeah. You're my best friend, dude." He says, looking me in the eyes.

"Thanks." I say. We look away and a few moments of silence go by before I feel Ness's arms wrap around my torso.

"Are you okay?" I ask, looking down at him.

"I'm sorry..." He says shakily.

"What? Why?" I ask him, putting my hand on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry that I'm making you feel like this... I don't want to."

I rub his shoulder and shake my head.

"No, it's not you. It's me and my hormonal brain. Don't get hung over me being hung over you. It's just a brain thing that will pass eventually."

"... If it makes you feel any better, if I was gay, we would totally be dating." He tells me. I giggle.

"Thanks."

He sits up and scoots closer to me. Man, what if he really was gay?

Goddamnit.

If I'm being honest, I'd probably consider myself "The Nesscas Profile"