Boys/Girls/Boys

Lucas

I sit down on the couch and flick through channels on the TV, trying to find a show I like. My phone vibrates from under my leg, and I soon find a message from Ness.

Ness Casey

hey Lucas
you wanna meet at the arcade
or something?
ill buy us luncj
lunch*

Sure!
What time?

anytime youre feeling it

2?

sounds good

I set my phone down and glance at the clock. 1:30. I have about half an hour to kill, it only takes a couple minutes to walk there.

I settle on a cartoon about a frog and a robot helping each other to understand their emotions as they constantly freak out. It's surprisingly entertaining.

-

I step into the arcade to be greeted by Ness, sitting down at one of the tables they have by the food part.

"Hey, Lucas." He says, a little bit of a jitter in his voice. "Sorry if I'm a bit janky today, I'm having a bit of a freakout."

"What's wrong?" I ask, cocking my head slightly to the side.

"Nothing much, I'm just a baby. Uh, do you want something to eat?"

"No, thanks. I've already had lunch and I'm not hungry anymore. Go ahead and buy yourself something, though."

"Are you gonna have a small piece of it while I'm eating?"

"... Maybe."

"That's a yes. I'll buy you some fries." He says standing up. He's interrupted by his ringtone, which is a little tune that makes me feel sleepy. "Oh, sorry, that's Paula."

Ah yes, Paula. Ness's girlfriend for a year and a few months. She's also been my best friend since we met. Ness introduced her to me a few days after we had met.

I sit idly by as Ness talks to Paula until saying his goodbyes.

"Paula says hi." He tells me, putting his phone down.

"And so does Lucas." I say, smiling. He nods, texts something on his phone and and goes off to order.

Ness is probably one of my favourite people in the world. He cares about me a lot, and always makes sure I'm okay. He's there for me when nobody else is. the days he isn't there for me, he feels really bad about.

Paula normally hangs out with Ness, and sometimes when I'm over at his house, she'll come over and say hi. Or maybe she'll come over while Ness is staying at mine and say hi. Sometimes she just comes over for no reason and hangs out. I'm completely cool with it, she's pretty good at Extreme Chess 7 Ultimate Edition so it makes for a fun game.

I hum the theme song and realise that I probably have a problem. Ness comes and sits down beside me, flashing me a nervous smile.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"Uh, n-no, but it's fine. I can uh take care of it."