37: Spread your wings

Song Of The Chapter:
Soldier - Fleurie

Looking at his watch, Lance realized by now Keith probably would be out tearing up the city looking for him to make sure he was safe.
Lance almost laughed at the thought.
"Mama, I'm going to go back to the dorms now, Keith is waiting for me."
She smiled, nodding.
"Its alright, sweetheart. I will be fine here."
Lance nodded, getting up.
"Remember to eat the food they give you," Lance said in a teasing voice. "I love you."
His mother smiled an incredibly fond smile.
"I love you too. Stay out of trouble, okay?"
"I can't guarantee it."

Lance was pondering the possibility of getting food to being back to the dorm.
It would be nice after all, since Lance did leave Keith on the roof.
Hopefully he's not too upset with me.

Lance crossed the street and took a left after a block, scoping out some restaurants that might seem like places Keith would go to. It was after turning another corner that he noticed someone following closely behind him.
Lance's eyebrows furrowed. He made a left, then a right.
The man was still right on his tail.

His visit to the police station earlier played in his head.
One of Mr. Z's men, maybe?
Lance began to realize that was the option that made most sense. Mr. Z probably sent someone after him when he left the station. So, Lance tried to catch the man by surprise by stopping and crossing his arms.

"Is there a reason you are following me?"
Definitely caught off guard, the man halted.
"Following you? Are you crazy?"
Lance's eyes narrowed. "You have been following me for at least three blocks."
"Maybe I'm going to the same place as you."
Lance rolled his eyes. "I highly doubt that."
"Oh, do you? Because I'm pretty sure we are."
There was a click, and Lance caught a glimpse of a pocket knife held in the man's hand.
Lance realized, with a jolt, what the man meant.
They were going to go the same place.
The man was planning on capturing Lance and taking him back to the station.
Lance caught on in time to dodge an attack, shoving the man to the ground.
"Just as I suspected. You're one of his men, aren't you?"
The man wiped his nose, still wearing an annoying half sneer.
"And if I was? What would you do? I think you are forgetting that we are currently in a public area."

Looking around, Lance realized he had a point. He had already drawn some attention to himself, standing over the man in a threatening stance.
Lance straightened his posture.
He had to play this smart.
"Yes, you have a point. But that doesn't change anything. Don't expect me to cave into coming with you so easily."
The man slowly got up. "So you're saying that you would rather change here and risk your identity being exposed?"
Lance laughed. "Who said anything about changing? You probably want me to change. To expose myself. But do know that there is no way I will be exposing myself here. I have enough common sense to know that is not the wisest choice."
The man cackled.
"I see. Then it will be an easy task taking you out."

Lance decided he would have play the role of the victim to get out of the situation. This man wanted a fight? He could come at him all he want, but if Lance chose not to fight back, it may cause others to take his side. So, when the man charged at him, he dodged. Took a defensive stance and closed his eyes against the impacts. It hurt, yes, but he didn't want to get caught. Not here.
Not yet.
Not without saying goodbye.

So Lance stayed strong. He let himself be thrown to the ground. Kicked.
Shoved.
"STAND UP AND FIGHT!" The man screamed, violently throwing Lance to the ground for the third time. Lance's head hit the cement, something that made his vision black out for a split second.
Lance remembered gasping as the man pinned him to the ground by the throat.
"You don't put up much of a fight," He said, eyes narrowed in frustration. "What are you up to?"
There were some yells, which confused Lance at first before it clicked in his brain.
Ah.
People were finally coming to the scene.

Lance almost smiled, but for the sake of keeping his plan from being foiled, he pressed his lips in a thin line.
"Stop!" Someone demanded, and was followed by other protests.
Lance should have possibly considered the fact that this man might actually attempt to kill him. He was being strangled, gagging with the lack of oxygen as the man pressed his fingers into his neck.
Lance was beginning to panic.
He couldn't breathe, and his mind was fogging up.
People were trying to pull the man off him.
The grip on his neck got stronger, and Lance began regretting his choices.
Lance was almost out when...
The grip released.
Lance collapsed to the ground in a fit of wheezing and coughing.
Someone had arrived and was fighting off the attacker.
Who...?
Lance's blurry gaze shifted upward.
Kei-?
No.
It definitely wasn't Keith standing there guarding him.
If his eyes weren't deceiving him, Lance recognised the shape of a wing.
A bird wing.
Bird.
Bird....
Said bird turned around go check on Lance, and Lance let out a choke of a sound.
"P-P...."
Pidge.

He should have figured it out a long time ago that she had some sort of secret.

Her wings were spread out wide, creating a shield to block Lance, as she was screaming something to the attacker.
She finally scared the man off, but the look he gave Lance before leaving was enough to let him know that they weren't done yet.
Pidge came back, and helped prop him up.
"What in freshly baked fuck happened, Lance?"
"-Was following me... Attacked me."
Pidge frowned.
"Who was he?"
"Mr. Z's... Prison?"
Lance hoped Pidge could follow what he was saying, because he honestly couldn't control half the shit coming out of his mouth at the moment.
Luckily enough, the idea got to Pidge.
"Okay," was all she said to respond. "Okay. I'm going to take you back to the dorms. Keith is worried, and honestly I would be too, based on all the shit you've gone through."
Lance chuckled.
"Do you think you can carry me?" Lance asked.
She shrugged. "My wings are pretty strong. I could probably get you back to the dorm."
Lance nodded, letting Pidge do what she needed to do to get adjusted in order to lift off the ground.
They somehow lifted off the ground, and Lance was too tired to question the physics behind it.
So, they flew over the city, over the trees.
Back to the dorm, where Lance knew Keith would be waiting.

A/N:
Take it.

Sorry for a uhhh shorter? Chapter than usual, it's been hard writing 3 stories at the same time plus all the homework and,, life. Hopefully you enjoyed this chapter...? I was having a rough time writing it soooo yeah.

ALSO I made a shrine for Keith's birthday.