18

As we raced back, I felt something stinging my back. I turned around and saw a small, almost unnoticeable dagger sticking out of me. I pulled it out quickly and turned it over in my hand.

My eyes widened with fear as I saw a blue liquid dripping down the blade.

'Everything alright Akila?' Yoshimura turned to me as he saw me stop.

'No, I'm fine. You guys go ahead,' they hesitated for a moment but kept running.

'Are you sure?' Kami stood in her place, not wanting to leave me.

'Yes, go. Just some pureblood business,' she walked closer but I shooed her away with my hand. She stepped back and sighed, running to catch up with the others.

As soon as she was out of sight I staggered over to a tree, resting my body on the truck.

'Well, well, well. Look who we have here,' I looked up and smiled weakly. Red eyes. 'You found me.'

She giggled and pulled out her syringe, the thick blue liquid dripping off the tip. 'Time to do some tests.'

Running up to me, she tried to stab me but I fell down by chance, the needle trapped in the wood.

'So its like that huh? I thought you would be happier to see me Kiki,' She looked down on me and I swung my leg out, knocking her off balance.

I smiled dryly. 'So happy,' I quickly scrambled up and ran as fast as I could and ran away.

'I always liked it when my prey would run.' Her armour jangled as she sprinted towards me.

My foot twisted around on the ground, a crackling noise sent pain skimming up my leg. I fell to the ground but continued to claw my way forward.

'Gotcha,' she leapt onto me, her scythe drawn and held it up to my face, the only thing between me and the blade was the small dagger I pulled from my skin earlier.

The blue liquid dripped onto my skin and smouldered. I clenched my teeth in pain as I tried to ignore the burning and hold up against her.

Then a flash of movement came from above and she was pushed off.

A being tackled her down, growling noises coming from their direction. I drunkenly stood up and recognised who it was.

'Kami...' her face was that of a vicious dog, snapping and biting. Kami held her down as she slashed at her.

I could barely yell out as she pulled out a hunters weapon from her boot and impaled her in the heart.

But then again, kami also got her in the heart.

She ripped out the hunter's blade from her chest, the electricity sparking and dropped it to the ground.

'Kami no!' I stumbled to her side and caught her as she fell. 'Its okay, I'm here. It okay,' her chest was already falling to ashes.

Her face turned back to normal and her features softened. 'Thank you,' her breath whispered away as she fell to sand.

My eyes clouded up as tears pricked my skin. I promised I would never cry again, I promised Zero...

I turned in a fit of rage towards the girl on the ground, my eyes flickering like a broken light bulb as the poison wore off.

'You!' I leapt onto her and tore off her armour, blood seeping out of her chest. Slowly my fangs emerged and immediately I ripped into her skin, tearing it off, chunk by chunk like a ghoul.

'You killed her!' My voice was demonic and loud.

I let out a shaggy breath and stood up. 'You deserved to die Irene. You made me break my promise.'