Chapter 31: The Storm Continues

Start from the beginning

       "Oliver!" Dad called. "Would you stop going out into the storm?!"

       Shaw heard my dad call out to me so he stopped in his tracks and turned around to face me. "Ollie, it's not safe for you out here! Get back inside! I'll find Grant and bring him back!"

       "I'm not leaving him out here again!" I said. "Something must have happened for him not to follow us back without telling us!"

       "You're already injured!" Shaw said. "Get back inside!"

       "That's not happening!"

       I already started walking to where we got out of the car and there was nothing Shaw could do to stop me. Unless he physically picked me up and put me back inside where my dad kept a hold on me to make sure I didn't leave again, but thankfully he didn't.

       "You're a special kind of stubborn, you know that, right?!" Shaw asked as he started walking towards the car too.

       We weren't the only ones going out in search for Grant again. Dad and Lawrence joined, and this time Tara did too. 

       "How could he just disappear like that?!" Dad asked. "He got out of the car with us and was following us to the house!"

       "Did he say anything about going anywhere else?!" Tara asked.

       "No!" Shaw said. "He didn't say anything while following us! We were about right here when I last looked back at him, and that was when I stopped to pick Ollie up on my back! Speaking of, you seriously need to go back inside, Ollie!"

       "Yeah, screw you!" I said, still continuing to walk.

       Grant really couldn't have gotten too far but I wasn't seeing any sign of him. None of us were, no matter how much we were calling Grant's name. I didn't get how he could have just randomly disappeared like this and got caught up in the storm once again.

       "Where is he?!" Tara asked.

       "I don't know, maybe he went to the diner to get a milkshake!" Shaw said sarcastically.

       "I'm not kidding! Where's my son?!" Tara asked.

       "They're all back at the house, remember?!" Shaw asked.

       "I'm not talking about them! I'm talking about Grant!" Tara said.

       That made me stop in my tracks so I could turn to face Tara. "Wait, you're Grant's birth mom?!"

       "Birth mom?!" Shaw asked. "Cora's his mom!"

       "No, she's not!" I said. "Grant's dad had an affair around the same time Cora got pregnant with Hennessy only! Grant just found out! That's why he was outside in the storm!"

       I really hoped he wasn't back in the storm because it was still bothering him.

       I didn't think he was because we soon got our answer as to where he was and why he didn't follow us when I heard him yell from nearby, "Hennessy!"

       The five of us followed Grant's voice, finding both him and Hennessy by the pond in Spruceworth. Hennessy was standing on the jetty on the pond, and it was very unstable right now. She was holding on tightly to the rope linings, trying not to lose balance.

       "Hennessy, come on! You have to try getting off of it!" Grant said.

       "I can't!" Hennessy said. "If I take one step the whole thing shakes and could collapse!"