Chapter Thirty-Five

Start from the beginning

Cauis wakes just as I've finished packing. I need to tell him what the day will hold. Even if I do not understand it myself. He will be furious at me, I'm sure. Grief washes over me as I think of how best to tell him. We are mates. Full partners, and I have managed to keep a large secret from him.

Cauis gets out of bed, coming to me. He wraps me in his arms. "The bed is to cold without you in it." He purrs in my ear.

"I could not sleep." I tell him, moving out of his arms. Cauis looks at me with concern. I'm suddenly very self conscious.

"What is it, Esmerelda?" He asks taking my hand.

I take a deep breath, and tell him everything, spearing no details. As I tell him of my vision for the pack, his face goes pale. His eyes turn black, and his clenched fists start to shake.

"Why have you not told me of this? They are our people! You would see them all dead?" He shouts at me. He runs a hand up over his face, pulling at his brown hair. He begins cursing at me. Cauis has never been angry at me. Not even when I kept my distance. But now, he is finally letting all his anger at me out.

I knew this would be his reaction. Even if I had told him all those months ago, I do not think it would make a difference. When every wolf decided to stand with us, there was no changing the future. "I would see them live, Cauis! Their fate was sealed when they all joined our ranks. I do not wish this life on any of them! You were right. We should have sent Glabodus away that day." I try explaining to him. I do care greatly for the pack.

Cauis storms out of the room, out the front door, and shifts, taking off from sight. I sigh, wishing I knew how to prevent this from happening. I had tried several times to see a different outcome, to no avail. The future is set in stone. There is nothing I can do. And that is the worst part. I may be a powerful sorceress, but I can not stop this. This is the will of the Gods.

I knew Cauis would not return any time soon, so I wave my hand, and flash myself to Master Druses' home. He opens the door before I even take a step. "Esmerelda," he greets me, kissing my cheek. "What brings you here?"

We walk inside, and Lucinda smiles at me, Latisha on her hip. "May we speak privately?" I ask him, not wanting Latisha's young ears to hear this.

Master Druses' waves his hand and we are in his study, where a flower burns, allowing us to talk freely without fear of being overheard.

I lay my satchel down on his desk. "Today is the day Rome will burn." My voice sounds calm, surprising me.

"You are certain? I thought you did not know when?" He asks taking a seat, indicating for me to take a stool.

"In my vision," I start, "I do not. But, today, I awoke and I feel it. It will happen today. That, I am certain of."

Master Druses' jaw locks. He takes a staggered breath, and swallows loudly. His breathing is hitched, and I can clearly see fear in his blue eyes. "Very well." He says after a few minutes. "What do you need from me?"

I give him a sad smile. "Our pack will also fall today. I had a vision months ago about it. I did not know when that would happen either. Until this morning. In this bag are things Cauis and I will need to survive. I ask that you simply hold onto it, keep it safe. I will return for it later today."

I pick the bag up off his desk, and hand it to him. He takes it, and places it in a bin behind his desk. "I will keep it safe." He promises. 

"Thank you, Master Druses." I dip my head at him. I owe him so much. 

I go to stand, and Master Druses asks, "Esmerelda, do you think we will ever see each other again?"

I close my eyes, and search the future. And see nothing. A tear slides down my cheek. "I'm sorry."