Chapter 4.3: The Ferachu

Sabin sat on the steps as Leena left, wondering when Kianna would show. After sundown was a very unspecific time, now that he thought about it. It's not like I have somewhere else to be.

The door of the church was closed, presumably in case one of them decided to spring Turrent from his prison. His attempts at conversation with the other women of the village had been a complete failure. Other than Elder Lila, he'd been very politely ignored. Even then, the conversation was limited to 'You will be rooming with me tonight'.

Sabin had thanked her for the boarding, but her voice had an edge to it not unlike that of Takuya's advances towards Kaita. He wasn't sure how much sleep he would actually get tonight.

Sabin wasn't made to wait for long, as Kianna returned, changed from the long brown dress she'd worn earlier to a shorter, white one. A white belt adorned her waist, exposing her curves for the first time. Sabin forced his eyes to meet hers. Were all men this easy?

Focusing, he spoke first. "Why are you helping me? No one else in this village would speak to me."

"Because I mistook you for an Echu earlier," she admitted. She took a place on the steps next to him. Very close to him. The act exposed more of her legs than Sabin thought possible.

"I was hoping to create with you, and hopefully Partner with you as I believe you call it in Acadia." She smoothed her dress, looking away.

Sabin's eyes wandered again and he snapped them back up. "I am sorry to disappoint you. I am promised to another."

"That is fine by me. We are not as restrictive when it comes to these things."

"What do you mean by restrictive?"

Kianna tossed her hair and smiled. "I mean that it is not uncommon for a man to have multiple wives or wives multiple husbands, as long as everyone is in agreement. Besides, from what I know of Acadian culture promised and partnered are two different things."

"I'm not an Echu," Sabin offered lamely. I am running out of diversions.

Kianna smiled again, this time reminding him of Elder Lila from earlier. "Even though you are not Echu, I can still create with you since you have Talent. Unfortunately, you are a Serien, so even if we created there's no guarantee I could Partner with you."

"Wait," Sabin started. "How do you know I'm a Serien?"

"We all knew," she said. "Before you arrived. We even knew you were coming. Elder Elissa told us."

"How did she know? And why exactly is this place without men."

"Sigh," Kianna sighed, emphasizing the action with her word. "Do you learn any history of the Rianna tribes in Acadia? There are six Rianna tribes remaining on the Great Eastern continent. Besides my tribe, there are the Ita, Yuwabi, Ulan, Piani, and Rwabu."

"That doesn't answer my question," Sabin commented.

"I'm getting there," Kianna snapped.

Sabin put his hand over his mouth to prevent himself from interrupting.

"Better," Kianna said, satisfied. "We, the Ferachu," she emphasized the word, "are the historians of the world. At least that's how we began. However, the various Tribes only saw us as easy prey. Eventually, all that remained of our tribe were those who had Talent and could defend themselves. Several cycle-years ago, a male Mage of great Talent decided that with our power, we should reform ourselves from the keepers of history, to the makers of history. This male Mage, Valice, marshaled those who wanted power against the wishes of the H.E.R.

"What happened was the worst civil war in our history, pitting men against women, brothers against sisters. The High Elder and her forces were victorious and men were punished by being banished from ever seeing the tomb of Rianna again. The women called their new tribe the Feral and the men named theirs the Echu.

"However, they could not erase the bonds that connected wife and husband or what you Acadians would call Partners. Despite their evil, wives - the women - wanted to see their husbands - the men - and their sons. The High Elder forbid it.

"A compromise was reached. The Feral and Echu would still create. Boys are placed on the border for the Echu, the girls remain with the Feral."

"You don't seem convinced by the history," Sabin said.

"You're right," Kianna said. "It is illogical to believe that a civil war began with all women on one side and all men on the other. All of us who studied with Elder, sorry she's no longer an Elder, Daughter Rea, do not believe so. There is too much evidence to the contrary. Even if it were true, which I doubt, there is no reason to punish men for the faults of their ancestors. We should become the Ferachu again! But it will never happen."

"Maybe when you become H.E.R., you can make it so," Sabin added.

"You flatter me," Kianna said, smiling. "Maybe. If I keep talking to men in Feral I won't be," she said, laughing.

Sabin laughed at her laugh, it was contagious.

"There will be a huge price to pay if I am caught talking with you," she said, but her voice betrayed her lack of worry. "I'm sure they know..."

"Guan!" Wade voice rung in Sabin's head, causing him to grab his head in agony.

"Are you ok?" Kianna asked him, placing her hand on his shoulder.

Regaining his composure, he snapped at Wade, "Do not yell in my head. Remember that!"

"Understood," Wade said.

"I was saying I have to go," Kianna said to him.

"You can't!" Sabin said, grabbing her hand. He felt her jump at his touch. "Something dangerous is here. A Guan."

"Elder Elissa set an alarm. We should know if someone with Talent entered Feral. That's how we knew you all had arrived." Kianna gripped his hand tighter. "Did Wade tell you?"

Did the Feral know everything? "Yes," he said. "Can you get into the church? I need Turrent."

Kianna nodded. "But they won't free Turrent out without H.E.R. permission." She pulled Sabin to the door, hesitating in front.

"Please, Kianna," Sabin said.

Kianna took a deep breath and pushed the door open. "I'm already in trouble. Let's go."

As they went into the church, he could the dais, a statue of a woman holding a bow, long hair streaming down her back. Curved benches formed a circle, with a table in the center.

Kianna released his hand and rushed past the seating area, standing at the downstairs stairwell on the right. He saw her arms glow as she formed her hands into a prayer. The soft glow pulsed for a few moments and when it finally receded, she waved him forward.

Downstairs, two older women lay sleeping on the ground in front of an open door. Turrent's 'prison' was more room than anything else. He sat on a single bed in complete comfort, oiling one of his short swords across his lap.

"It's about time," Turrent said, dusting his clothes and standing. "I thought the thief was in charge. And who's...?"

"There's a Guan in Feral," Sabin interrupted.

Turrent pulled his other short sword from behind his back. "Lead the way."

"We should get Leena first," Sabin said. "Kianna, where would she be?"

"We were given word that she'd be rooming with the High Elder tonight. I can take you."

They darted back upstairs and out the front door, ignoring the angry looks of the other women as they passed. The moon was high, illuminating the village, so the footing was clear as Kianna led them to the home of the High Elder. The door was wide open, which added to Sabin's worry. He pulled Wade from his sheath, touched Kaita's cloth for luck and prepared for battle.