Chapter 35: Undercover

It was time to put the first step of Turrent's plan into action. His eyes had reverted to their natural golden color and he had used concealer on the scar on his cheek. He wore fine dark blue leggings, a silken white tunic and green and gold cloak with imprint of the Acadian hawk. There was nothing to connect him to the Tsuchinan their pursuers sought.

"Are you sure you have this Edward?" Sakima asked.

Turrent patted his pouch, which held the bear's head pendant Sakima had given him. "I am to show Hatsuto this necklace. He will know it's from you and make arrangements to get you and the king inside." Turrent turned Midnight so that he could look Sakima in the eyes. "Are you sure you can trust him?"

Sakima's gaze was enough of an answer.

"Great!" King Fenra said. "What loyal friends you have, son! Edward, I am glad my son has men like you."

Turrent gave a flourishing bow. "I cannot match what Hatsuto has done for your son."

When he rose, Sakima was glaring at him.

Turrent was sure that many would have been intimidated by that stare, but it only served to irritate him.

Save that strength for your father. Stop being such a coward and tell him.

Turrent nodded to the two of them, turned his horse and continued to the city gates. Sakima's problems with his father were none of his concern and he momentarily wondered why he was so interested in Sakima standing up to the king.

Is it because I respect the man? No, it couldn't be something so trivial.

The city guards waved him inside without so much as a second glance as he held his head high, playing the part of someone important. Men tended to avert their gazes in the presence of such people, less they get drawn into the chaos that surrounded nobility.

Hatsuto's rank meant he resided in the senior knight's quarters inside the castle, so it would take some time and effort to get to him on most days. However, Sakima had fashioned a letter that would make the initial introduction run smoothly.

It was the face to face meeting which would take some finesse.

"Good evening, gentlemen," Turrent said to the castle guards in his haughtiest voice. "I would have a word with Major Hatsuto if it pleases you."

"What is your business with him?" the guard on the right asked. The soldier grasped his katana and Turrent itched to have his short swords. The knives inside his sleeves and leggings would have to suffice.

There are also the ones in my boot sheaths.

Turrent smiled. "A source tells me the good man is very partial to Durain sponge cake. As luck would have it I happen to have a rare, well-preserved batch from Birming. He would be very interested."

"Sure, he would." The guard's tone suggested he believed the opposite.

Turrent slowly pulled the letter from the folds of his cloak. "All I ask is that you give him this letter and tell him that I will be awaiting him at the Blooming Sakura." He gave the man a few zen along with the letter. "For an expedited delivery if it pleases you."

The right guard smiled with a missing tooth in the bottom row of his mouth. "I suppose it couldn't hurt, eh?"

The left guard didn't move. Turrent reached into his pouch and offered the left one the same amount. That got his attention.

The guard on the left took Turrent's bribe and turned to his fellow. "Go ahead, Hara."

Hara nodded and motioned for the gate to open.