Chapter 29.2: Interregnum part 2

"Serien, I apologize for my impudence earlier," Wassa said. She tapped her chest, then her forehead and then bowed her head to Leena. Her dreadlocks were interwoven with dark blue thread. "We were acting with incomplete information."

"It's quite alright, Wassa," Leena said. She sat in Fatima's foyer, happy to receive its warmth. Sakima was next to her on one side, Fatima on the other. Wassa sat across from her, flanked by a couple of Yuan warriors.

"What will you do now?" Leena asked

"I would like to withdraw the bulk of the army to Sweoti, Serien, before the snowfalls begin, while leaving a small squad to see to the Dragon's safety."

"Why do you call him the Dragon?"

"No offense meant Serien, but that is not for the ears of outsiders."

Not as cowed as I believed.

"Very well, you have my permission. And please call me Leena."

"I would not deign to be so rude; I am only a Third Blood. I could not possibly speak to you in such an informal manner."

Leena wasn't about to delve into Yuan culture. She was sure it was very fascinating, but she itched to have this done. "Is that all you needed from me?"

"Yes, Serien."

A silence stretched for several moments. Leena blinked at the woman and looked around, waiting for everyone to leave. There was no movement save for the rising and falling of their chests.

"She is waiting for you to dismiss her," Sakima whispered.

You could have just done it, instead of letting me look like a fool.

"You are dismissed Wassa."

The three warriors rose, giving her the chest to forehead salute in tandem, before giving it to Sakima and Fatima.

They streamed up the stairs. Fatima housed Wassa and some of the other higher ranking soldiers while the others roomed with the various people of the city. Some Acadians took offense to their homes being invaded, but Fatima told Leena it was completely normal for Yuans to house warriors as you would a long lost cousin. Leena was empathetic to the Acadians; the idea of having your place invaded by a stranger was horrifying.

Leena waited for them to make their up before speaking. "Fatima-"

"I cannot tell you either," Fatima said. She wore an orange dress clung to her curves, yet billowed out everywhere else. "How is Yusabin?"

She crossed her arms. "You knew, didn't you?"

"Of course I did. I am in the business of knowing these sorts of things. However, I am like Wassa. Certain things of this nature are above me."

Above the governor? Odd.

"I understand and will not press any further."

"Are you sure you do not want to stay in my manse? I can make room."

Sakima held up his hand. "No, that is not necessary. We shall be on our way soon."

"Very well." Fatima rose to her feet, sending her golden bangles into a melodic chime. "Sekou will see you out when you are ready."

Leena nodded and returned to the inn with Sakima.

********

"What's this?" Leena asked.

Turrent laid across the table in Sabin's room. Seven days had passed since she met with Wassa and Fatima. They spent the last few days trying to get Sabin out of his shell. Everything from sleeping in the same bed to trying to kill him and see if he defended himself (that was Turrent, of course) and he had yet to respond. They'd discussed this map before, but Sakima suggested that planning their next move might work.