Chapter 27.3: Recruitment

Ira took several steps back and her eyes burrowed into Yulan's back. Yet she said nothing more.

"Leena, Turrent-"

"Don't tell me to fall back, kid. You're not dying on my watch," Leena said. The moisture grew in the air.

"Stop drawing!" Sabin commanded.

Her glare could melt ice, but she released her power.

"I will bind him to our cause," Sabin said. "I must. That is my task."

Yulan raised an eyebrow. "And how do you plan to accomplish that?"

"By giving you what you want."

He waved his hand to the vast expanse behind him. "All that Yua owns is my birthright. What could you possibly offer me that I do not possess?"

"My claim."

Yulan crossed his arms. "Continue."

"I will fight you, right here and now. If I win, I will march right into the heart of Yua and do whatever is necessary to relinquish my claim. You will go with Leena and the other Seriens. I will not insult you by asking you to work with me. I will aid the rest of you however I can."

"And if I win?"

"I cannot give you my life, Yulan. But I will do whatever you ask. You have my word."

He stared into the skies for a few moments, then nodded. "This is acceptable." He waved Berius to him and whispered in his ear.

Berius nodded and blew a kiss to Leena. Then he walked over to Ira.

"He seems to have a thing for you Leena," Turrent quipped.

She rolled her eyes. "Oh, shove it already."

Turrent sheathed his swords. "You're actually going through with this?"

"It's the only way. Tell the others." Sabin turned to Leena. "Tell Kianna."

"Tell her yourself." Leena stormed away.

Yulan reached into the bright plumes on the sides of his loincloth and pulled out a set of golden short spears. He strapped each to his arm. "I will never follow you, Yusabin. No matter the outcome."

Sabin nodded. "I can see how much you hate me, but I don't understand why."

Yulan spat. "If Ira gave these men your name, they would cheer. They've wished for your existence my entire life."

"I'm sure-" Sabin started.

"Save your pity Yusabin," Yulan interrupted. "Our father has been quite clear on his plans for you. I am fagon, my life has no purpose as long as you live. If you win, I may as well join the Seriens on this nonsense journey."

Sabin held out his hands. "I do not know how to say this clearer: I do not want anything to do with a country that tossed me away like common trash! This father you speak of? I couldn't pick him out of a crowd of two."

Yulan shook his hand. "When you speak, I can almost believe your lies. If you were the Reincarnation of Yua, you'd have not only this small group of warriors, but an entire country's might as your disposal."

"This is my burden. I would not risk any more lives than necessary."

The spears spun at Yulan's sides. He put his hands in an unorthodox stance, fists forward and bent at the elbows, front knee forward with all of his weight on his back leg. "Either you are the most honest man I have ever met. Or you are a naïve fool."

Why must it always come to violence?

Sabin drew Wade, bent his knees and struck.

The spear clanged as it met his sword. Yulan punched forward with his right hand and the accompanying spear extended and cut Sabin's cheek.

He pulled it back and Sabin's blood spattered across the ground.

"That is only my first offering."

Sabin ran his hand along the cut. It wasn't bad enough that it needed to heal.

He dashed forward and swung upwards with Wade. Yulan took a quick step back. He tilted his head and Sabin's blade just missed. A spear thrust for Sabin's chest, so he shadowed behind Yulan. He sliced for Yulan's throat with the flat of his blade. Yulan defended with his spear, but the impact knocked him off-balance. The second spear shot towards Sabin's leg. He shadowed in front of Yulan and delivered a roundhouse kick to Yulan's jaw.

Yulan spun and thrust a spear towards Sabin's stomach. Sabin knocked it down.

Yulan spat a wad of blood as he regained his composure. He sneered and his eyes flashed red.

Sabin grinned. "That is only my first offering."

Yulan's leather boots thudded along the cold ground as he sprinted forward. He didn't throw anymore; the spears came at Sabin by their own will. Sabin knocked both away, but Yulan jumped and kneed him in the sternum.

Something cracked in his chest and he dropped Wade. Yulan wrapped his forearms around his head and drove each knee into his stomach. Then he pulled Sabin's head down and kneed him in the face.

Stars engulfed Sabin's vision and he kicked forward. A stabbing pain seared his leg and a boot collided with his chest.

He flew backwards. His acted on its own and repaired the damage. He slammed onto the ground, coughed and rolled over to his side.

"This is the best you have to offer?" Yulan asked. "You are why they call me 'the wrong son'?"

Several pairs of feet pounded on the ground. His mind clouded from the pain, and it was a few moments before he worked out the source.

"Stop!" he shouted.

Leena stood at the front of the others, water swirling around her arms. Sabin struggled to his feet.

"You will stay out of this!"

He turned back to Yulan. Berius and rest of the contingent was just behind him. The army even inched closer.

"Sabin, you cannot-" Leena started.

"Listen to me," Sabin interrupted. "I will handle this."

"Looks like he's handling you," Turrent said. "Stop playing hero for once."

Sabin shook his head. "I am not playing. This is what I am. What we all need to be. If we kill these men, we'll have two countries coming down on us; countries that we are supposed to protect. You will stay back. I will handle this and I will not die here."

They did not move.

Sabin's eyes flashed red. "Back!"

Kianna put her glowing hands on his face. "Remember your promise to me."

"I do," he said. "Now please, trust me. All of you."

"Next time, I won't wait," Leena said. "Stop holding back and kick his arse already."

They finally retreated and Sabin turned back to Yulan.

Berius wiped the sweat from Yulan's chest and arms with a cloth. Yulan jerked his head back and his men retreated. Berius whispered in Yulan's ear before joining the rest.

"Is that how Acadians duel, with breaks in between?" Yulan asked. "It's no wonder you are so soft."

Sabin drew on his Path as deep as he could. There would be no more holding back for fear of collateral damage or killing his brother. He was done using the power of six.

Yulan would feel the power of ten.