Part 49: Midnight Run

It was one o'clock. I set the alarm on my watch to midnight, and just laid there with my mate, eyes on the door. I listened to the house. There wasn't much sound at night at all. 

What if she was right? What if they were going to attack or start this whole thing? 

"Babe?"

I looked down at Leilani, her eyes open. "What?"

"Everything okay?"

"Just on edge."

"Ready?"

"For what?"

"We don't have to wait until they start after us, you know," she whispered. "Technically, it's already tomorrow. We could get a head start."

Suddenly there were new smells in the castle. There was shuffling.

"They're outside." 

My heart began to race. "Downstairs."

"They are coming," she whispered, and gingerly rolled out of bed. "It's not just a team of three, either."

Suddenly an argument broke out.

"What is the meaning of this?!" Asa's voice was loud, and it was clear he was sounding an alarm.

"It is a new day, though early." We heard Charles say. 

"Strapped?" Lani already was. She moved with her gear as if it was one with her, and I understood why she decided to use it instead of something different or new.

"Yeah, come on." I told her. "Lock the bathroom, I got the doors." I looked around. "Come on!" I led her into the closet and locked the door. 

"What--"

I moved to her side, and pulled open a lingerie drawer. Inside I flipped a switch and the wall behind my suits slid open.  She grabbed my mother's diary. "Ten seconds, come on!"  I grabbed her hand and we stood against the back wall as the closet wall closed in front of us. "Only Dad, Mom, Asa and I knew about these." I whispered as we moved in between the walls. "Why did you grab--"

She set it down. "They may search through your things. He needs no more information."

We moved on through the walls, past my parents' bedroom and finally down.

"We're going to the cave?"

"There's a way out through there--" We both stopped moving as we heard movement above us. "They're breaking into the room. Come on!" We got downstairs and to the cavern, but instead of going further in, we walked out to the waterfall and headed out.

"Where do we--"

"Your camper, come on!"

"What?"

"He only knows my holdings, not yours." We walked away from the property and found the camper in the woods. "Had Asa move it here when you reminded me of when the day truly begins." I slid into the driver's seat and Lani slid in on the passenger's side.

Lani looked back. "My bike is back there, too?"

"Yep," I shrugged, and turned the ignition. "Here's hoping this isn't too loud."

"I drove out of the back of a hotel while you entered the front," she shrugged. "Should be fine."

I gave her a look, and she grinned mischievously. We rolled out, and the engine was almost silent. I kept the lights out for miles since I knew the roads by heart, and didn't turn them on until we got on the I-87.

"They're in our room now," Lani said softly. She swallowed hard. "They've got to be."

"I'm hoping they are searching the house."

"So, what's the plan?"

"We're ditching the camper with Mama Cass."

"We're going to New York?" she sounded really surprised. "I thought that was against the rules--"

"Like attempting to attack us in our bedroom isn't?" I retorted, quirking an eyebrow at her. "We are going to ditch the van--" I looked at the clock on the dashboard. "Stop for breakfast and use your bike. Your old burner phone has been charged. Cass's number is in it. Call her." I watched her pull out the phone and slowly dial. "Is there a problem?"

"What?"

"Seeing your old beau?"

"I went out with him once, Kyros!"

"When she says hello, just say we're on our way, and hang up." I did a quick estimate. "We should be there when the place opens since there is no traffic right now. We can make time--"

"We're on our way," She clicked off.

"Embarrassed?"

"About what?"

"Hoping he's not there, aren't you?" I asked. "I fully intend to make it clear who you belong to if he steps a toe out of line."

"Can't I--"

"No." It came out in a growl though I didn't mean it to. "Let's talk about Shenandoahs, tell me all you know."