Part 37: Awake

I woke up slowly.

I wasn't in my bed, that was for sure. It was too soft, pillows too comfortable. I could smell incense of some sort.

"You may as well open your eyes." I heard Kyros's voice say. "I know you're awake, honey."

I looked around

I looked around. "Your bedroom?"

"Ours, yes."

I looked around again. "Mine?"

"Yes, honey, I think it would be better if you were here."

"How long have I been out?"

"Two days."

"What about Asa and the twins?"

"Do you want me to release them?" he raised his eyebrows at me. "They've been running free since you got sick, but I can make it official."

"Yes."

"Consider it done," he said quickly. "They helped me save your life."

"What happened?"

He looked visibly upset. "Myra's real name is Mora." He took a deep breath. "She and I were...we had a relationship before I met you. She found about you and thought she could eliminate you." He pulled me into his arms. "I am so sorry. At first I was trying to protect you by not telling who you were, but that was a mistake."

"And now?"

"Now everyone knows anyway," he said with a small shrug. "Anyone who sees that necklace around your neck knows you are mine and I am yours. There is nothing more to say."

"Isn't there?" I asked.

"We still need to consummate--"

"I don't know if I am ready for that," I shook my head at him.

He stiffened. "Are you saying you have no feelings for me? Are you rejecting--"

"No!" I said quickly. "No, it's--"

"What is it, then?" he began caressing my face, and I was breathless looking at him. "I know you've never been with anyone. I'd be gentle. My wolf even knows that!" He was hurt, I could feel it.

"What do you want from me?" I whispered.

"Honesty." It was simple enough, but complicated. I swallowed hard.

"I'd like the same from you," I told him. In all of this, I'd not heard any affection or love, and I suddenly realized how much I needed it. "What do you want from me? You put me in the dungeon, I made friends—"

"Very resourceful of you."

"It's not that hard if you're nice to people!"

"I've been nice to you—"

"You have, and I don't get it!" I spread my arms helplessly.

"My father's belief in the inferiority and oppression of half breeds was one he taught and enforced through law. I am alpha now, and as your father said, it's my choice now, and I am changing all of it."

"What about--"

"Mora will be sent away."

My breath caught. "She is being sent away?"

"Yes," he said simply. "She didn't know you were my mate, but she does now. I can't have her here, especially if I don't trust her. You're too precious to risk."

I forgot to breathe for a few seconds.

"Wait, you don't think you're precious to me?" he looked incredulous. "That I don't want you?"

He was so intense, it was hard to think of what to say. "It all changed fast."

"I changed my mind about you awhilie ago."

"When?"

He looked upset again.

"When?"

He crawled out of bed, and stood at the foot of the bed. Then he changed...into a wolf...one I'd met before.

"It was you?!" I couldn't believe it. "You let me pour my heart out, cry...on you?!" I wish I had something to throw! As I looked for something, he laid down and ducked his head, whining.

"This isn't the only change you can do, is it?"

He stared at me.

"You don't want me to see it?"

He whined again.

"Dear God."