Part 16: Lone Wolf

"Alpha?"

I didn't want to be bothered by anything. I sighed, closing my eyes for a second or two before turning to acknowledge Quinn. "Yes, Quinn."

"Bryan, Christian and I are taking your father home," he said slowly. "Are you coming with us?"

I sat for a moment. "In a day or two."

Quinn turned on his heel, and left.

I sat there, feeling lost and guilty. I felt lost because my father died and guilty because all I kept thinking was that I'd lost Leilani somehow, too.  I realized that when she was in my scope, some sort of distance that I could feel her. I liked how that felt, or maybe, how she did.

"Kyros?"

"Is there a way she can hide from me?" I asked. 

"Distance or if she is with others."

"Others?"

"Our network is werewolves, but if we dealt with the halfbreeds and quarterbreeds, we may be able to find her more quickly."

I thought about that. My father would have forbade it, but I didn't care. If they could help me find her, great.  We were the last pieces of this mess now. I needed to find out what that meant, and I needed her to figure it out.  I wasn't sure why, I just did.

What kept coming back to me was Leilani's father's words to me: It's your choice.

My father raised me to believe that anything less than a pure blood was unacceptable. They either had to be born by blood or bitten, because we had already  bitten humans who changed that we accepted, more or less for what they could offer in knowledge, skill or pleasure. 

But now all I wanted was to find this quarterbreed. I got a much better look at her. She had pretty eyes that spoke of what I could only call innocence, and brought me to my knees because of her purity. I simply could not face her because her soul was purer than mine. She had long dark thick hair that smelled of that honey almond concoction. Her body, from what I could tell was athletic and firm, her skin soft and smelling like that damned concoction. 

"Kyros?"

I looked up to see Gordon holding his cell phone. 

"Mora."

I rolled my eyes at the mention of the name of my favorite courtesan and paramour...until of late. She had been calling and needling me any day I left the fortress, especially since I started looking for Leilani.

"You aren't answering your phone, so now she is harassing mine," Gordon said. "Please?" 

I saw the phone was on mute. I snatched the phone, unmuted it, and said, "Yes?"

"I heard what happened!" Mora cried. "I am so sorry, Kyros, so sorry."

"Thank you," I replied. "We'll be home soon for his memorial."

"So this--this hunt of yours-- is over?" she asked hopefully.

"I'm afraid not," I said flatly. 

"Why?!"

"Because I have to," I said simply. "We are the last of a family feud that needs to end one way or another."

"What do you mean?"

"What I said," I became short with her. "See you soon."

"Kyros--"

I hung up. I don't want to deal with her. I honestly wasn't sure what my father's problem with Leilani was, but I sure wanted to find out. I needed to look in her eyes again.