Part 10: Working It Out

"You're working out now?" 

I looked at Gordon. I was tense, hot, bothered, bloodthirsty,  I don't know, just off my square.  Seriously, what else can you do in a hotel? Working out--being aggressive--allowed me to think.  "Is there a reason I shouldn't be?" I huffed.

Gordon shook his head. "Shouldn't we be tracking this girl?"

"Waiting for some--ah--coordinates, Gordon, that's all."

"Computer searches."

"Uh-huh." I said as I set down the dumbells and started doing some plank jumping jacks. "Tell me something."

"What?"

"You really didn't smell honey?" I asked. "Honey and almonds?"

Gordon chuckled. "No, I didn't." He shook his head. "You worry me sometimes, Kyros."

"I worry myself sometimes," I chuckled as I finished the exercise.  "Why do you think Dad is so hateful of half and quarterbreeds?"

Gordon shrugged again. "I'm sure the answer is in the past, as all answers seem to be."

"I saw her," I breathed. "She looked so damned cute and harmless."

"She's young," Gordon hunched down. "She may be more dangerous as she ages."

I shook my head. "I don't think so."

"Is that your gut reaction, wolf reaction, or...your head?" Gordon quirked an eyebrow.

"I know what I'm doing," I growled at Gordon. "But as an alpha, a new leader, there are things I need to figure out for myself, for this time and age." I finished my exercise and jumped to my feet. "Some packs have begun to accept these mates--"

"Mates?" Gordon's eyes flared.

"It's a simple matter of church and state, religion and race," I shrugged. "There was a time when half-breeds and quarterbreeds were frowned upon, but then wolves insisted that the Goddess Diana brought them together--"

"That the Goddess who loves us would direct humans and werewolves to love each other?"

I shook my head. "I've read some of those cases, and the bond is almost as strong if not as strong as that between full breed werewolves. Some lost everything, died trying to stay together."

"But that dilutes the race--"

"Or diversifies it, expands it." I accepted a towel he gave me with a nod of thanks and began drying off. 

"You're talking about Asa's case," Gordon arched his eyebrow. "What side are you on?"

I sighed, thinking of my childhood friend. "Sometimes I don't know," I told him. "I had hoped to do some research on this, make my own ruling, but when Father got hurt by those hunters--" He sighed. "by her father,  I didn't have a chance--"

"Or a choice," Gordon added. "This family--the Martins--are dangerous. They are not pure in act or blood, one of the two, and hurt the Kincaids-your family, one of the oldest werewolf families from across the ocean to settle and branch out here. That should be enough, and came from your father."

I took a deep breath. I should have talked to Quinn.

"But one thing disturbs me, Kyros."

I nodded for him to go on.

"How do you know it's the quarterbreed that smells like honey?"

"I can smell the werewolf blood and honey combined," I told him, which had to be the answer but I wasn't entirely sure. "Interesting scent."

"One none of us picked up." Gordon's eyes narrowed at me. "Is that your keen alpha senses or something else?"

Suddenly my cell phone rang.

"Yeah?"

"We think we know where they're headed," Quinn said. 

"Okay?" I hate it when he does that. It means he's going to be longwinded.

"Okay, according to the--"

"Just tell me, Quinn."

"Chicago," Quinn answered. "John Montgomery's parents have two apartments side by side rented in a place called Marina City. We got guys there, and we scanned via helicopter. One apartment has sound proof walls and a huge metal lined storage locker."

"Refrigerated?"

"No, could be a weapons storage," Quinn said. "But some of our guys found out that a young woman checked into a Ohio motel, paid cash and then disappeared. That's in the same direction--"

"Got it. Gordon will be up to help you pack, let me shower and we're on our way," I said, and clicked off. "I think we're on our way to Chicago, Gordon." I gave him a playful slap on the shoulder. "And I got a workout in!"