Part 6: Moonrise

Now I couldn't get him out of my head. They say evil is ugly, but truthfully I always thought one thing when those stories were told: How can evil be appealing or convincing if it is as ugly as it does? That didn't sound right.

I felt like I had my answer...and just a drawing of him set a batch of butterflies free in my stomach, making my heart flutter.

"Hurry up, Lani!"

I gasped. "Almost done!" We had been water color painting my truck blue. If they saw the truck in a different color, a trip to a car wash could help throw them off. "Why aren't we doing yours?"

"I'm a decoy."

"I don't like it," I told her. "If they catch you, what will they do?"

"They won't," she said quickly. "If I have to ditch the jeep and hike, that's what I'll do." She was quiet for a moment. "You should be ready to do the same."

Finished with my side, I went around to Didi. "Why are you doing this?"

She exhaled. "Your father came to my family in peace, and begged for our help." She cleaned her hands on a rag. "He has been hunting vampires, shapeshifters, and other creatures ever since."

"Has he ever--"

"Never hunted his own kind, no," she smiled sadly, as if this was his personal defect. "We understood, and we never told him when or who we hunted if it was one of his kind, but he knew we did. We promised to leave peaceful ones alone."

This was alot.

"You never told me you saw him."

We started walking back to the cabin. "What was there to tell?"

"I thought we told each other everything--"

I whirled around on her. "Did you really just say that to me?"

"Sorry, I just--he is kinda drop dead gorgeous, isn't he?"

"Stuff dreams and nightmares are made of," I breathed. "Wait for me here?" She nodded in agreement and I began to speed walk. Dad told me to walk to each vehicle, and leave some of my dirty clothes in each one. Didi waited for me by my own vehicle. Dad's truck was on the upper road, pointed east, and Didi's was on ground level pointed north, while mine was pointed west. We were all taking off in different directions.

By the time we got to the cabin, one wolf had begun howling. It was steady and long as if telling a story, calling out to the night. Didi and I looked at each other, eyes wide.

Dad swung the back door open. "Hurry. They're here."